Vouchers instead of change on Sheffield busses

phoppy1

SYPTA has no buses, but it does deal with ticketing (OAP passes etc); so it ought to be the body introducing card-use.

Nottingham have a system called CityCard that:

Add kangaroo day tickets or passes for bus, tram and train travel

Add school or college travel discounts

Add jobseeker travel discount

Add Citycard cycles

Add flexible fitness membership

All Citycards come pre encoded with a Library membership number

http://www.citycardnottingham.co.uk/what-is-citycard.html

Surely the council along with SYPTE could run a similar scheme. After all SYPTE are already offering plastic smart cards for some of their products. I currently have a monthly South Yorkshire Travelmaster on a smart card so the technology is already available

Sheffield is too small for oyster system. Besides it takes years for a system like that to develop and work properly.

Sooner than that there will be a system you can pay by mobile phone, much easier and cheaper to run.

I have moved from Sheffield to Newcastle upon Tyne and I am sure they are already paying for their fares by mobile phone.

I have watched some of the passengers showing their mobile phone to the driver.

I have moved from Sheffield to Newcastle upon Tyne and I am sure they are already paying for their fares by mobile phone.

I have watched some of the passengers showing their mobile phone to the driver.

First buses are doing that down here too, but they don't currently list Newcastle on their map of covered areas: https://www.firstgroup.com/etickets/

The trouble then becomes, what happens if you run out of charge on your phone? Smart cards are easier, can be loaned/transferred to other people if you want to (who cares about TnC's?) and mean you don't have to display to the other passengers what type of phone you have and where you put it. I personally don't see the benefit of the mobile phone ticket in comparison to smart cards, apart from that it gets other passengers to stop talking/texting at least whilst they display the eticket to the driver which means that passengers might have to interact with the driver more without the phone being a distraction.

First buses are doing that down here too, but they don't currently list Newcastle on their map of covered areas: https://www.firstgroup.com/etickets/

The trouble then becomes, what happens if you run out of charge on your phone? Smart cards are easier, can be loaned/transferred to other people if you want to (who cares about TnC's?) and mean you don't have to display to the other passengers what type of phone you have and where you put it. I personally don't see the benefit of the mobile phone ticket in comparison to smart cards, apart from that it gets other passengers to stop talking/texting at least whilst they display the eticket to the driver which means that passengers might have to interact with the driver more without the phone being a distraction.

I dont care about terms and conditions either I never understood why tickets are non transferable. Does the company lose any money on you giving it to someone else? No?

Newer technologies to pay will come. Just wait and they will develop over time.

But even if they developed a system without cash it is in human minds nature to be corrupt and cash or some valuable substitute will always be there for criminals needs.

Technology will never ever clean corruption out of any system unless the people using the technology were to become honest themselves.

Well - yes - because the person you give it to won't have to pay?

The bus operators have already had funding for the journey to be covered by way of the saver ticket. Buses currently run irrespective of how many people are on board them. Currently, if you purchase a paper-based saver ticket (day saver/weekly/monthly) then you can lend that to a friend or relative when you're not using it and they can have use of it. Of course, the operators don't like this which is why they're trying to bring in the e-ticketing stuff i.e the operators know that you're less likely to lend your phone to someone so that they can travel - or a smartcard if it's a PAYG or linked to your bank account. That being said, if it's a smartcard and it's got pre-paid saver tickets on then there again it's easy to lend someone.

What they also don't like the idea of is that it will dilute the data that they can get from the smart tickets about passenger usage habits which is one of the main reasons that they're trying to bring smart ticketing on in the first place i.e they want to build profiles and demographics, as the data can be harvested as another revenue source. People lending their smartcards means that it isn't one person's journey history but multiple, which would corrupt the data and why it's written into the TnC's as to why smartcards are non-transferable.

@SheffStealth

Understand and agree with all you're saying.

I'm vey unlikely to use e-tickets - my phone is a phone, not a mini-pc.

What I would like First to do is introduce a smart-card that you could load day/week/monthly savers to. This option exists (and works) in Brighton for instance.

When SYPTE close their enquiry offices in the very near future, getting a Sheffield monthly (for instance) will be a problem - I asked at Arundel Gate what the arrangement would be, to be told 'no idea - no-ones worked that out yet'.

If we had reloadable smartcards - theres the answer.

Heard a tram conductor refuse to accept coppers as part of someone's fare this morning. Part of his argument was that it wasn't his job to count coppers and that coppers were H & S issue as they weighed too heavily in his bag. So no notes, no coppers -next it'll be no 50p or 20p cos the edges are too sharp so we'll all have to have pre paid passes or carry a load of 10p pieces. Mind you a lot of places e.g. Nottingham & Birmingham won't give any change or vouchers-it's exact fare or forfeit any change