Vouchers instead of change on Sheffield busses

phoppy1

Im sure I have read on this forum before that people have been given change vouchers before that you can cash in at the Olive Grove depot. This was a while back though, dont see why these new vouchers would be any different.

I have a voucher for 10p that I was given over a month ago. I saved it for posterity as it is the first time in 68 years that I have been given one. I left a pub quiz to catch a bus scheduled to arrive at 2235 in order to beat the travel cut off at 2300 for old fart's free travel passes. This bus did not arrive! :rant:

I caught the next one thirty minutes later which meant I had to pay a fare of £1.90. I presented two £1 coins and was given the voucher as change.

The information on said voucher says that it can be cashed on any First bus or at any travel centre within South Yorkshire and is valid for one month.

I just wonder what would happen if change anywhere else was replaced by a voucher valid for only one month. The only "reason" I can think of for having a time limit is to make extra profit for the shareholders. Of course, I am open to be educated should I be operating under any misapprehension.

On a point of information to your good self I can tell you that as far as I am aware the office staff that used to work at Olive Grove are now in Rotherham.

Sorry but getting change is always possible,

This is one of my pet hates, if you know you are going to be travelling by bus how hard is it to makes sure you have change there are always shops, post offices that will quite gladly change your £10/£20 note, and usually bus stops are quite close to shops,

I am sorry but we are one of those shops that are close to a bus stop ! How much change do you think we carry ? We try to be helpful but at the tenth time of asking at 8 in the morning it wears a bit thin . Surely the drivers don't want all that change to count up at the end of their shift ! Do they ?? :D

What nonsense!!!! Of course they have ACCESS to change...there are 24 hours in a day....and if you know you are going to travel by bus then at least have ONE fare in change.....I KNOW that right now I could go to my purse and have the right money....not because I actively sought out change but because it's what I have received in change from shops.

It's all very well bleating on about what Sheffield hasn't got....it hasn't got a lot of things but it does have buses that (in the usual and traditional fashion) you need to pay to ride on. How difficult is it???

And of course you always know the exact actual value of the fare, which on some routes does seem to vary depending upon the time of day and the company running the particular bus you happen to be on. :thumbsup:

Thanks Autumn you are right,why should everyone else bend over backwards just to help make it easier for for the bus companies that can't get their act together

Have you called and checked with them whether you can cash in the voucher?

Toy do know you didnt have to pay there and then you could have just given them your name and address and sent them the money.

The bus driver explained they only get given a £5 float and they are not a bank, so its helpful if people come with the correct money. Even if they build the float up then it could easily be depleted if several people come along requiring change and they run out. Its a bus not a bank, so cut them some slack. All the buses ive been on lately they give change. there must have been some reason why you ot a vouvher, perhaps because he had run out.

What denomination note did you require changing?

How on earth is it a "money maker" for the bus companies? If you are a regular bus user then you just use the voucher the day after or whatever. The number of people getting a voucher and not using it is going to be tiny.

What if you only have a £10 note and that is for your bus fares and dinner for the day?

Not everyone can afford for their money to be held until the next time they need to use the service.

What if you only have a £10 note and that is for your bus fares and dinner for the day?

Not everyone can afford for their money to be held until the next time they need to use the service.

The maybe go and get some change before you get on the bus, so you dont take the risk.

Alternatively take the bus ride, give them your name and address and send them the money later.

What nonsense!!!! Of course they have ACCESS to change...there are 24 hours in a day....and if you know you are going to travel by bus then at least have ONE fare in change.....I KNOW that right now I could go to my purse and have the right money....not because I actively sought out change but because it's what I have received in change from shops.

It's all very well bleating on about what Sheffield hasn't got....it hasn't got a lot of things but it does have buses that (in the usual and traditional fashion) you need to pay to ride on. How difficult is it???

So people MUST go to the ATM,draw whatever money they want and then go into a shop and buy some thing they don't want,just so they can get some change.:huh:

So people MUST go to the ATM,draw whatever money they want and then go into a shop and buy some thing they don't want,just so they can get some change.:huh:

People have done that all the time if they needed change in the past for things like parking meters or a phone box. What they might wnat to do if it worries them that much is make sure they have the right money in the first place to avoid the unlikely event that the bus driver is unable to provide change and has to issue a voucher. He has a limited float. Thats the way the buses have always worked.