Vouchers instead of change on Sheffield busses

phoppy1

People have done that all the time if they needed change in the past for things like parking meters or a phone box. What they might wnat to do if it worries them that much is make sure they have the right money in the first place to avoid the unlikely event that the bus driver is unable to provide change and has to issue a voucher. He has a limited float. Thats the way the buses have always worked.

Just a shame we can't give them a voucher if we have no change,as a promisery note.

Why should bus conductors give change???? Your wife made a conscious decision to catch a bus....surely she would have known to have enough change to give to the bus driver....it's not rocket science.

The giving of change hinders the bus.....and EXACT FARE should be tendered as it is in other places - I lived in London during the 1980s and if you didn't have exact fare you had to get change and wait for the next bus.

I really don't get why you are upset at it....you got the change in the form of a voucher...so use it next time you travel....and have the right change to make up any difference.....simples :)

And please bear in mind that if by VERY LOOSE CHANGE you mean all coppers and small....there is a legal limit to the amount you can tender in one transaction.....I don't think it's much more than 30p in coppers.....so be sensible and give the correct change to avoid having to receive another voucher.

Because they are taking money for services. They should give change the same as every other service that takes money. It's not like days of old when bus fare was cheap and you had that amount floating around.

Because they are taking money for services. They should give change the same as every other service that takes money. It's not like days of old when bus fare was cheap and you had that amount floating around.

They do give change, but if they run out then you get a voucher. You have to take that voucher and can cash it in at the infornation desk with some buses. Not sure if its all but tbf the OP didnt investigate this. Why not just avoid this possibility and go with the correct money?

I use them, but not every day. Maybe six times a week. All the buses ive been on have given change.

Its in their ts and cs. The OP didnt clarify the circumstances he was given the voucher for or give an idea as to how much. Stagecoach have a policy that they will issue a voucher if for instance the driver runs out of change and that can either be used on another bus journey or cashed in with them. Not the end of the world.

So people MUST go to the ATM,draw whatever money they want and then go into a shop and buy some thing they don't want,just so they can get some change.:huh:

Why not? i do for my parking if i dont have change. Its my fault that i dont have the change, not the person that designed the parking machine nor the bus driver who may have had 10 people all get on with a tenner before you.

If i want to use the car park i use, i have to get the correct change. its no different

This could catch on, every shop that you use issue vouchers instead of change this then forces you to use the shop again, or round everything up to an even number, all bus fares £1.00, what a way to rip customers off, just think a chocolate bar would generate a voucher for change unless correct amount is tendered.

My new business plan is a voucher wallet with 100 pockets to accommodate all the different vouchers.

Why not? i do for my parking if i dont have change. Its my fault that i dont have the change, not the person that designed the parking machine nor the bus driver who may have had 10 people all get on with a tenner before you.

If i want to use the car park i use, i have to get the correct change. its no different

Most car park machines take notes and card payments.

If the bus operators don't want to be messing with cash (a good idea) then they need to follow the lead of London. They need travel cards where you top up and where you are credited with the best deal depending on usage. That will make use of public transport more attractive, speed up the embarkation and disembarkation and lower costs. Issuing vouchers to encourage people to have the right change might have been a good idea in the 70's but it is a bit embarrassing nowadays.

I agree. I needed to pay for parking the other day, and although I had quite a bit of change I didn't have it exactly, so I ended up paying 10p extra. :o (£1.70 instead of £1.60) No change, no voucher, but at least I was able to park. If I'd rolled up with only notes, I'd have been stuck as that machine doesn't accept them or cards. At least the bus drivers attempt to give change out of their limited floats.