What's the point of having a personalised number plate?

I drive to and from work every day, and often see what are pretty obviously 'personalised' number plates, and I often think to myself, what's the point?

Most I see are pretty tentative anyway, and need a pretty large leap of imagination to see what it's supposed to be. A lot are pretty much unfathomable, from a strangers point of view.

Is it vanity? One upmanship? Superiority? I don't really 'get it'. But then again, there's a lot of things I don't 'get' ;)

I reckon it should make you a better driver.....

I have two plates, just my initials, they were fairly cheap, and the cars are not 'dated'. H xx xxx type of thing. Harmless fun, a bit egotistical...

However, i hate to see the plates that are totally illegal, S instead of 5, spaced wrongly etc, I don't know how some folks get away with it.

Its just personal choice - just like the car that one drives.

I do have to admit anything that needs manipulating to actually mean something is a poor choice.

(Obviously the above means i have at least one!)

A couple of friends of mine have standard plates DG05 , T22,T12 - unless you know them and their names then the rest of the plate means nothing,yet all three read as their surnames if you know them.

Edited by willman

I reckon it should make you a better driver.....

I have two plates, just my initials, they were fairly cheap, and the cars are not 'dated'. H xx xxx type of thing. Harmless fun, a bit egotistical...

However, i hate to see the plates that are totally illegal, S instead of 5, spaced wrongly etc, I don't know how some folks get away with it.

Its just personal choice - just like the car that one drives.

I do have to admit anything that needs manipulating to actually mean something is a poor choice.

(Obviously the above means i have at least one!)

But surely they only 'mean' something to 'you'?.....Anyone else seeing it, it's just a collection of letters and numbers?....Well...apart from the ones which are very recognisable....Like SUE...or JOE...or whatever....It's really wonderful to know the name of the driver of the car in front :huh:

because I'm better than you .... and childish

Why should it mean that?

---------- Post added 17-09-2014 at 10:52 ----------

But surely they only 'mean' something to 'you'?.....Anyone else seeing it, it's just a collection of letters and numbers?....Well...apart from the ones which are very recognisable....Like SUE...or JOE...or whatever....It's really wonderful to know the name of the driver of the car in front :huh:

Thats the point isn't it, why should we care what anyone else thinks.

It means "I pay extra to the DVLA to have the registration I want".

So, logically, those who own them should not then moan about any other driving-related official costs, such as road tax and the like.

EDIT: there should be a poll, asking posters to clarify whether they own a cherished number or not, for a bit more context to the thread comments :)

Edited by L00b