What's the point of having a personalised number plate?

I guess there are those who think we should all be driving around in identical cars, same make, same colour...... All dressed the same..... All drinking the same beer..... Living routine lives..... Surely, we all spend our money on things to make us a bit more individual... Number plates are just one more thing that helps us make ourselves individuals, not all clones.

Noooooo...I certainly wouldn't want everyone to be the same...yes we are all individuals...God help the world if everyone was like me....But that's for a different thread ;)

So you're saying it's purely and simply to make us (users of personalised plates) a bit more individual?.....I agree in a way...but I'm guessing it's a very small part of why people have them.

Who would actually admit it's for no other reason (for them) than to make a statement 'I'm better then you'...I've got a flashier car and personal plates. Not many I would guess...yes I know that's the extreme end of the rationale but true for some.

'R101 CLE' by any chance? Probably better on the back of a Zeppelin! (OK ... I know the R101 was British, before anyone starts) :)

No. Its made of of just 4 digits and isnt connected with my username here :)

xx

---------- Post added 17-09-2014 at 16:08 ----------

What???? £900..the car or the plate? :hihi::hihi: ...Or both?

900 for the plate. The car was a bit more lol.

xx

---------- Post added 17-09-2014 at 16:09 ----------

My plate is unusual, it's the only one in the country.

Ba dum dum taaaaaaa.

Very good :lol:

Noooooo...I certainly wouldn't want everyone to be the same...yes we are all individuals...God help the world if everyone was like me....But that's for a different thread ;)

So you're saying it's purely and simply to make us (users of personalised plates) a bit more individual?.....I agree in a way...but I'm guessing it's a very small part of why people have them.

Who would actually admit it's for no other reason (for them) than to make a statement 'I'm better then you'...I've got a flashier car and personal plates. Not many I would guess...yes I know that's the extreme end of the rationale but true for some.

I think that's totally missing the point. The DVLA sells loads of crappy plates every year knowing some folk are going to make illegal plates out of them. That's their problem and their fault if they get fined for it.

I bought a very nice plate 3 initials and 1. When I bought it I paid £200 for it. Now I keep getting emails from a registration plate company offering over £20,000 for it. What a fool I am for paying £200 for such a frivolous item when I could have spent the same and had a loud exhaust fitted.

So why did I buy the plate. Easy.

1 It stops the car from giving away its age.

2 It was one of the best investments I've ever made.

Edited by SHYTOT

:hihi:

Seeing a personal plate in Asda car park? :huh:

... She probably thought you were related to the Walmart family. ;)

I thin someone from that family would drive something a little ore prestigious than car. Dont get me wrong shes a nice car but not Walmart standard.

---------- Post added 17-09-2014 at 16:11 ----------

I think that's totally missing the point. The DVLA sells loads of crappy plates every year knowing some folk are going to make illegal plates out of them. That's their problem and their fault if they get fined for it.

I bought a very nice plate 3 initials and 1. When I bought it I paid £200 for it. Now I keep getting emails from a registration plate company offering over £30,000 for it. What a fool I am for paying £200 for such a frivolous item when I could have spent the same and had a loud exhaust fitted.

:hihi: I get those from time to time. I may have paid 900 for mine but i could easily get several 1000 for it even if i sell it on the cheap.

We must be mental eh? lol

xx

I bought a very nice plate 3 initials and 1. When I bought it I paid £200 for it. Now I keep getting emails from a registration plate company offering over £30,000 for it. What a fool I am for paying £200 for such a frivolous item when I could have spent the same and had a loud exhaust fitted.

On the contrary, I think you are a fool for not accepting the offer! ;)

When me and the Mrs started a family, we sold her Vauxhall Corsa and bought a Honda Accord. The reason was due to much needed space. I've never heard anyone moaning about having to buy a new number plate because they need a few less digits to remember.....

But how many buy a bigger car because they allegedly have an issue with a certain part of their anatomy.:hihi:

I've never needed a new plate, their is no reason per se for having one. Except the main one - someone wants it.

Someone near me have one that reads Su Stew somehow,never quite read all the plate accurately.

On the contrary, I think you are a fool for not accepting the offer! ;)

Why is that. The value is increasing way faster than any investment I might make with the loot. Why sell now when I can double my money in 10 years. I suppose I was a fool 10 years ago for not selling when they were offering £10K. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

I thin someone from that family would drive something a little ore prestigious than car. Dont get me wrong shes a nice car but not Walmart standard.

---------- Post added 17-09-2014 at 16:11 ----------

:hihi:I get those from time to time. I may have paid 900 for mine but i could easily get several 1000 for it even if i sell it on the cheap.

We must be mental eh? lol

xx

So it's an investment?....That makes more sense in my mind...