What's the point of having a personalised number plate?

Because in post #95 you clearly refer to buying 'a' very nice plate and getting offers for 'it'.

That's what makes me think you haven't! :P

That's all a bit tenuous as I refered to a plate that I was repeatedly getting offers for. But I'll not split hairs.

I did once own a car registered OKA 1. Sadly I didn't hang on to either the car or the plate as I could probably retire on the proceeds if I still owned them.

---------- Post added 17-09-2014 at 17:07 ----------

How about it is because you can buy a new car, and put your old plates on it, so that folks don't know you have a new car...... So my new Peugeot looks like an older one as it has an 'R' plate..... Or is that reversed inverted snobbery?

Love this thread, everybody has been sensible!

Actually I knew a guy who was Chairman of a large engineering group in Sheffield. Every year he bought a new Rolls Royce. Always in the same colour, so that the employees wouldn't realise he had bought a new motor.

That's all a bit tenuous as I refered to a plate that I was repeatedly getting offers for. But I'll not split hairs.

I did once own a car registered OKA 1. Sadly I didn't hang on to either the car or the plate as I could probably retire on the proceeds if I still owned them.

---------- Post added 17-09-2014 at 17:07 ----------

Actually I knew a guy who was Chairman of a large engineering group in Sheffield. Every year he bought a new Rolls Royce. Always in the same colour, so that the employees wouldn't realise he had bought a new motor.

I've got a boss who does that...does he really think we're all too thick to see he's driving around in a new car?....Employees really aren't as daft as some bosses would like to think.... :suspect:..Buy hey ho...He can do what he likes :)

Actually, I did check previous threads and they didn't seem to be relevant...Yes they mention Personalised plates, but not in the same context.... :)...Nice try!

because I'm better than you .... and childish

Why is it childish ? If someone can afford one why not . You can pick them up for as little as a couple of hundred quid . Me and mrs p have private plates that are more or less identical . Its a personal choice . we have had ours for years on many different motors.