What's the point of having a personalised number plate?

However i'd rather pay £299 to the state coffers for some exclusivity than £35k for a more exclusive car.
Personally, I'd rather pay <whatever> to drive the car I want to drive, whatever reg it's on. But each to their own, of course.

Both get you noticed, mine will last longer.
As the owner of a 1998 car displaying its standard-issue R reg which is in better condition than most cars a third or even a quarter of its age, anecdotally I would dispute that.

It's reverse snobbery, actually: look at my old R-reg car that still looks and drives better than your 12- or 62-registered identi-econo-box :D

(...but I get your point, of course ;))

Surprisingly one of them has personalised plates but neither of them really relate to the owners but they were only £299 ! Figure that out.
What, buying any old PP for the sake of having one on the car? Not that hard to figure, is it? ;) Edited by L00b

I'm not questioning your right to buy what you like...

... but the fact that you think you have bought 'exclusivity' for £299. :roll:

I was using it as an example compared to people buying "exclusive", "marquee cars not that it makes us exclusive.

The registration is also several years older than the car it's on so no benefit there either.

I have one!

It means absolutely stuff all to me, not my initials or name etc.

It was on my first car when I bought it and I kept it.

Nothing to do with ego it's nostalgia and personal choice that's all.

I also have a Garfield air freshener that no longer smells nice, I had that since I started driving too.

The Garfield is clearly showing off and ego though.

Probably penis envy too.

I can sort of grasp the logic in you having yours...But then it's not a personalised plate, just as you say, a nostalgia thing....and that's fine!

Why should it mean that?

---------- Post added 17-09-2014 at 10:52 ----------

Thats the point isn't it, why should we care what anyone else thinks.

Because it is and people do. It's all look at me everybody, look at my house, look at my car

I blame the mods for there not being one.

:hihi:Well...if I remember, there was a thread discussing that very thing, or it was within another thread which went off at a tangent, and the general consensus was that folk didn't want it being too much like Facebook.

So I'm not guilty there, and a mod couldn't do it anyway...:)

---------- Post added 17-09-2014 at 12:09 ----------

You haven't seen the Garfield Pete......

It's outrageous :D

Dunk it in some of that incense oil. It will be nice and smelly again...Just like it used to be! :)

Did I say I 'cared' that much?....I just don't 'get' it...Like I said...I really couldn't give a monkeys what other people do. I just can't get my head around the logic of it.

You obviously care why people have them or you wouldn't have started a post.

If you don't get it then you don't get it. I don't understand why people listen to certain music, buy expensive watches, cars etc but I don't really care about it to post about it.

Some people want them, others don't.

You obviously care why people have them or you wouldn't have started a post.

If you don't get it then you don't get it. I don't understand why people listen to certain music, buy expensive watches, cars etc but I don't really care about it to post about it.

Some people want them, others don't.

So if you're so disinterested in everything why are you posting on here?....Is it a personal affront to you that I start a thread about it?....I reiterate, I just don't understand it. People so far have explained their reasons...some of which I can completely understand...

Anyway, this thread makes a pleasant change from the political ranting threads...etc...etc

I drive to and from work every day, and often see what are pretty obviously 'personalised' number plates, and I often think to myself, what's the point?

Most I see are pretty tentative anyway, and need a pretty large leap of imagination to see what it's supposed to be. A lot are pretty much unfathomable, from a strangers point of view.

Is it vanity? One upmanship? Superiority? I don't really 'get it'. But then again, there's a lot of things I don't 'get' ;)

Its a "look at me I've got my own number plate" there's just no point to it whatsoever.