What's the point of having a personalised number plate?

Yeah, me too.

Like Mr Sugar announces his arrival with AMS 1. Whether you think that's a good thing or not, everyone knows it's him when he passes.

But having a tenuous connection to someone's name that is only possible to be worked out if you know the person or have to squint and cover one eye is just sad.

It's like announcing to the world that you want to be noticed but never quite made it. :(

The queen doesn't bother at all!....

Yeah, me too.

Like Mr Sugar announces his arrival with AMS 1. Whether you think that's a good thing or not, everyone knows it's him when he passes.

But having a tenuous connection to someone's name that is only possible to be worked out if you know the person or have to squint and cover one eye is just sad.

It's like announcing to the world that you want to be noticed but never quite made it. :(

In all sincerity If I was stuck behind AMS 1 I wouldn't know who the hell it was. If he got out of the car, looked me in the face and said "you're fired"? then maybe.

If you're spending a lot on something with no intrinsic value with the sole purpose of wanting, more likely needing to be recognized, or spending a lot on someone else for them to be recognized (lots of psychological stuff going on in there with that one) probably points towards a narcissistic personality.

In all sincerity If I was stuck behind AMS 1 I wouldn't know who the hell it was. If he got out of the car, looked me in the face and said "you're fired"? then maybe.

If you're spending a lot on something with no intrinsic value with the sole purpose of wanting, more likely needing to be recognized, or spending a lot on someone else for them to be recognized (lots of psychological stuff going on in there with that one) probably points towards a narcissistic personality.

I'm gonna start wearing a Tee shirt with my name printed on the back....it will read "Sheffield Forum Mod, Pete Morris".....and walk round the city...wonder how long it would be before I got a fump in the froat?

I got one as a present from my parents, picked it myself.

Birth year & Initials. Its great.

I don't doubt you like it....But tell me....is it recognisable as being a 'personal' plate?....or do people ask you the significance (people who may not know your initials I mean, or your birth date)....Or is it a sort of reminder thing that prompts you to remember your gift from mum and dad?...I'm just curious.

Maybe... :huh:

... but all of those things have a practical use.

Just what exactly is the practical use of a personalised plate? :confused:

The same as a normal plate it identifies my car,how practical can it get.

No one needs to get a bigger tv or a bigger shinier car,they get because they want them. Same with number plates.

---------- Post added 17-09-2014 at 15:04 ----------

I have seen some on lorries or vans, which are obviously a corporate thing...I 'get' that...

Why does a liveried vehicle need a personalised plate?