What's the point of having a personalised number plate?

No one needs to get a bigger tv or a bigger shinier car,they get because they want them. Same with number plates.

A bigger TV and a bigger car are all upgrades. Better picture from the telly, more space, practicality and probably more performance from the car.

A personalised number plate means............nothing

A bigger TV and a bigger car are all upgrades. Better picture from the telly, more space, practicality and probably more performance from the car.

A personalised number plate means............nothing

To the observer you are quite right.

As i've said before it's personal choice, i didn't buy mine for the benefit of anyone except the recipient.

Just as i wouldn't buy a new bigger car to impress someone else, however many people do it for exactly that reason.

It will certainly outlast any car or tv set and although it may not gain in value it won't be superceded within 12 months.

The same as a normal plate it identifies my car,how practical can it get.

No one needs to get a bigger tv or a bigger shinier car,they get because they want them. Same with number plates.

---------- Post added 17-09-2014 at 15:04 ----------

Why does a liveried vehicle need a personalised plate?

I have no idea whatsoever :confused:....but at least it makes sense, if only for the fact that it tallies with whatever the 'livery' is....But why is anyone's guess....I have seen small one man band type company vehicles with obviously personalised plates too....again...you can immediately see the logic, cos the name of the company is on the side or back of the vehicle...it makes far more sense than others I've seen...

To the observer you are quite right.

As i've said before it's personal choice, i didn't buy mine for the benefit of anyone except the recipient.

Just as i wouldn't buy a new bigger car to impress someone else, however many people do it for exactly that reason.

It will certainly outlast any car or tv set and although it may not gain in value it won't be superceded within 12 months.

But you can't compare it to buying a new car or TV etc. You get more for your money in those cases. Truth be told, you actually get less for your money, the more expensive your number plate costs!

But you can't compare it to buying a new car or TV etc. You get more for your money in those cases. Truth be told, you actually get less for your money, the more expensive your number plate costs!

Of course you can - all can be an ego or vanity purchase, yet everyone only associates private plates with ego and vanity.

I bought number plates as gifts they were less than £300,10 years ago,Guess what they're valued at £300 still. IF anyone wants to buy them(which i doubt).

A tv and car plummet in value,how much would a £1k tv set from 2004 be worth now - £50?

Of course you can - all can be an ego or vanity purchase, yet everyone only associates private plates with ego and vanity.

I bought number plates as gifts they were less than £300,10 years ago,Guess what they're valued at £300 still. IF anyone wants to buy them(which i doubt).

A tv and car plummet in value,how much would a £1k tv set from 2004 be worth now - £50?

When me and the Mrs started a family, we sold her Vauxhall Corsa and bought a Honda Accord. The reason was due to much needed space. I've never heard anyone moaning about having to buy a new number plate because they need a few less digits to remember.....

I think inadequacy and insecurity are major factors here ... it's certainly the case of the two people I know who seem to find a sense of self importance and that 'I've made it' statement in buying a personal number plate that just about spells their name. It doesn't make them any better from anyone else, quite the contrary in fact ... people laugh behind their backs. Sad. I don't care.

Some of the joke ones are OK though ... 'WHO 15 1T' made me smile recently, and PR's on motorbikes are fine too, as bikes are for showing off on anyway (customs and stuff at least). Semi-corroded Jags and stuff with the likes of 'JHN 50N' are just for the weak minded and delusional.

I drive to and from work every day, and often see what are pretty obviously 'personalised' number plates, and I often think to myself, what's the point?

Most I see are pretty tentative anyway, and need a pretty large leap of imagination to see what it's supposed to be. A lot are pretty much unfathomable, from a strangers point of view.

Is it vanity? One upmanship? Superiority? I don't really 'get it'. But then again, there's a lot of things I don't 'get' ;)

Ive got one because i love my car and want that little personal touch. For £900 its well worth it,