High Bradfield & Low Bradfield

Just got back from Agden having walked round the whole res.

60 Whooping swans have landed on there way to the arctic, fabulous site.

Going OT a bit here, but if you're into birds, (of the feathered variety) I had a report today that Red Kites have been spotted in the Strines area. Something to look out for when you're out that way.

My Grandparents (Merriman) ran the farm (Thomson House Farm?) that borders Dale Dike Reservoir, from the 30's to the Early 70's, and continued to live in a farm house there in retirement. My Uncle (Deakin) was the dam keeper, and still lives in the dam keepers house. What was Thornseat Lodge? My grandfather took a retirement job there, I believe.

Thornseat lodge was a childrens home' i was there in the 70's it may have closed in the 80's ????????

I can remember the winter that brought all the power lines down and the snow was so heavy we had to walk on the top of walls. It was also the first time I had seen the Northern Lights dancing around the sky. It was such a fascinating thing to have seen. We could'nt go to school because the power lines were on the floor across the way out from the farm. I never did like the winters.

I also went to Low Bradfield School from 1958 untill we moved to Loxley in 1962 and my fondest memory of my school days at Bradfield was getting the slipper off Fanny Wilkes!

I also attended Bradfield and mimed in the school choir in the Tenor section along with a certain Keith Goodison (better than lessons!)

The junior school closed many years ago with chidren now shipped to Dungworth due to lack of local pupils.

The site is now being converted to a coffee/craft shop but seems to have ground to a halt.

Brewery, what brewery, can't say I have ever seen that.

Where is it.

Regards the Bradfield Brewery.

If you are coming from Sheffield up Loxley Rd. When you get to the start of Bradfield Reservoir continue straight forward toward High Bradfield the brewery is about 200 yards before entering High Bradfield Village,on the left hand side of the road.

Cycleracer

The best directions to get to the brewery as I can remember are:-

Leaving the Horns Pub at High Bradfield proceed towards Sheffield on the top road.

The brewery is on a farm to the right of this road down a private lane. You can see the farm clearly and a great new barn type building which ids in fact the brewery.

It is nearly opposite the cottages next to the old Castle Hill.

There are no signs indicating a brewery but be assured it is there and the different brews they produce are excellent.

They have only been brewing for around a year but it is quality stuff.

Funnily enough the last time I was in Sheffield you could buy it at the Riverside pub on Harvest Lane in Sheffield but not in Bradfield itself.

There is a website for the Bradfield Brewery if you want to look it up.

Good Supping, wish I could join you.

Happy Days

Archived