High Bradfield & Low Bradfield

I once lived at bradfield for a short time' a place called thornseat lodge. Sadly the place is now in disrepair but i feel lucky to have lived in such a beautiful place. The views from the lodge were really good especially when it snowed. Then there was bradfield village' everyone seemed to gather in the local pub and sing along to folk music' even the village bobby' great times.

Hello all.

Who owns Thornseat lodge and wilkin hill cottage now? What a state they are in!!! I live in Lincoln but my heartland is Bradfield. Ive been going there since I was five. we used to stay in wilkin hill cottage for many years but still visit regularly. I spoke with the famers at woodseats farm and they say that a contractor owns them. These Buildings must be protected?

Bye for now

Jay

I recall seeing on the path to St Nicholas Church there is a gravestone with the inscription `sacred to the memory of ... (can`t remember the name) who died`

There is no more so it`s intriguing to wonder why the inscription is incomplete

I certainly hope everyone buried there died!

Hi Jay, do a search "Strines Road Murders" there is some info that may intrest you.

Hello "only me"

Yes that is interesting, local gossip seems to favour the named owners. not sure where to go from here but I think if i draw attention to the problem at Sheffield city hall it may rattle a few cages and get these properties sorted out.

Thanks for the prompt, But why do these lovely properties attract such morbid tales?

TTFN

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Used to go to Woodseat Farm in the early 80's, Went to school with the eldest lad there, Are they Geordies still? Thornseat was still open until 83-84ish, remember quite a few names from the area, went to school with among others, Robinson, Merriman, Simmons, Oakes, and a girl called Rachel? who lived in the caretakers house? at Thornseat, picked many great mushrooms on the hill behind Wilkin Hill centre. Must go back at some point

Yes the "geordies" The Robinsons are still at Woodseats, I was there the other day. David runs the farm now with his mother. Does anyone know if Tom Shepperd is still in the area? He was the previous farmer at Woodseats farm.

Jay

Used to go to Woodseat Farm in the early 80's, Went to school with the eldest lad there, Are they Geordies still? Thornseat was still open until 83-84ish, remember quite a few names from the area, went to school with among others, Robinson, Merriman, Simmons, Oakes, and a girl called Rachel? who lived in the caretakers house? at Thornseat, picked many great mushrooms on the hill behind Wilkin Hill centre. Must go back at some point

• 4 weeks later...
Hello all.

Who owns Thornseat lodge and wilkin hill cottage now? What a state they are in!!! I live in Lincoln but my heartland is Bradfield. Ive been going there since I was five. we used to stay in wilkin hill cottage for many years but still visit regularly. I spoke with the famers at woodseats farm and they say that a contractor owns them. These Buildings must be protected?

Bye for now

Jay

Hello Again,

Just a quick update on things. Thornseat lodge and Wilkin hill cottage are to be investigated by an official organisation, why these properties have been allowed to get in this state by thier owners. Will keep you posted on developments.

TTFN

Jay

Hello Again,

Just a quick update on things. Thornseat lodge and Wilkin hill cottage are to be investigated by an official organisation, why these properties have been allowed to get in this state by thier owners. Will keep you posted on developments.

TTFN

Jay

Hi, hope you got my pm.

I can remember the winter that brought all the power lines down and the snow was so heavy we had to walk on the top of walls.

My friends the Marsdens (they lived at Burnside, Low Bradfield 1969-1998 ) used to say that electricity must be delivered to Bradfield by lorry, because whenever snow closed the roads the lights went out :D:D ;)

Archived