Does Scottish Referendum turnout demand electoral reform?

With the amazing turnout in Scotland. Should we give 16 year olds the vote in an attempt to engage young people in politics? Should we have a new electoral system where every vote counts?

EDIT - Sorry tired, after staying up to watch results come in! Please could a mod correct 'referendum'? Thank you.

With the amazing turnout in Scotland. Should we give 16 year olds the vote in an attempt to engage young people in politics? Should we have a new electoral system where every vote counts?

At least a better democracy is being discussed. Fewer people get represended in Parliament. If it was just a 2 party system, then at least 50% would be represented, but with 4 and more parties, it pointles voting for any of the also rans. So MPs get elected on less than 50% of the vote.

No, it was a mistake to let children vote.

The ones that did vote have seemed very sensible and clued up in interviews.

I'm not sure on this question. I'd like to see a lot more young people engaged in the democratic process, so on balance I think voting at sixteen might be a good idea.

I'm undecided on this.

Take the issue of student tuition fees - the people this affected didn't get a vote. Current students were able to vote but they weren't affected.

But I do worry that some 16 year olds won't have enough understanding of the world to make a decision. Having said that, it's unlikely they'd have a significant impact on election results because they'd only make up a small proportion of the total electorate.

I think the whole way we elect MPs needs to be reconsidered (some form of PR) alongside any change to the voting age. My vote won't change anything - in the area I like the Tories will always win. But if I moved 1 mile down the road my vote would become much more valuable.

Have you ever talked to an average 16 year old. They are utterly clueless about everything other than "smart" phones and The Kardashians.

I spent 33 years teaching them.

Some were more than mature enough to engage in political debate some less so.

More or less like the rest of society.

If I were to impose a numerical qualification for the vote I would prefer IQ to age.

I feel a society that allows one to legally become a parent at 16 and enter the world of work and contribute to the national purse yet doesn't allow a 16 year old to vote is rather hypocritical.

I also feel that much disillusionment and hence low turnouts in the UK elections in general, is due to many people feeling they are wasting their time, as their vote is essentially wasted if they live in a Labour or Conservative stronghold and don't back the favourite.

I've not been hugely in favour of electoral reform before now, but the Scottish Referendum turnout is food for thought.

16 and 17 year olds voting is a terrible idea. Even 18, is a bit young really, but I guess we're stuck with it.

perhaps allow them half a vote while they are 16 and 17, and then they can graduate to a full vote when they hit 18 however this compromises the notion of the secret ballot. That is as far as I would possibly be prepared to go.

Archived