Sheffield Brew Fest @The Bath

jemson

Well I went and got well and truly pished. Beer was interesting, and mainly in good condition. Prices varied from £3 a pint to £4.50 (well the ones I had anyway).

The venue is small and the number of stray stools scattered around meant lots of shuffling when people needed to get to the bar.

One thing I did not like is the ticker tax put on halfs. If a pint costs £4 then a half should be £2, not £2.50. I would have tried a wider variety of beers if I hadn't been asked to pay an extra 50p just for the privilege of having a half measure.

Well I went and got well and truly pished. Beer was interesting, and mainly in good condition. Prices varied from £3 a pint to £4.50 (well the ones I had anyway).

The venue is small and the number of stray stools scattered around meant lots of shuffling when people needed to get to the bar.

One thing I did not like is the ticker tax put on halfs. If a pint costs £4 then a half should be £2, not £2.50. I would have tried a wider variety of beers if I hadn't been asked to pay an extra 50p just for the privilege of having a half measure.

Did you try any of the strong ones?

£4.50 doesn't sound unreasonable for beers that are 7%+.

I can't say I like the idea of halves being so much more expensive. I was hoping to try a few different halves with my mates on Saturday, but instead I might be tempted to buy different pints and then swap our drinks half way through.

Regards

Doom

I can't say I like the idea of halves being so much more expensive. I was hoping to try a few different halves with my mates on Saturday, but instead I might be tempted to buy different pints and then swap our drinks half way through.

Regards

Doom

Cheers for the heads up about that Taxman. An extra 50p is crazy. :rant:

I know a few folk who went yesterday and said it was really good. I`ll be there this evening and got my eye on a few PINTS in particular.

Regards

Doom

I had a pint of Sea of Tranquility which was good, a Summer Wine IPA a couple of stouts and a couple of other pale ales. And a Grateful Dead from Steel City (I think, I wasn't really noting what I was having). My OH had a couple of Red beers and a rather tasty 7% stout.

In the end we used up the £20 worth of vouchers we'd bought, had a another from the main bar then decanted to The Hop for a couple more. After that the evening is somewhat hazy.

Was tipped off about 'ticker tax' last night, unlikely to go now unless they're operating like McSpoons where they run two halves through as a pint! Wanted to try about 10 beers, so would end up paying about a a fiver over the odds. Then when you add in the tokens which come in multiples of £5 and aren't refundable you quickly end up spending a lot more than you intended! A shame, as the pint prices seem reasonable from what I've seen but you get hammered for drinking smaller measures

I went last night too. Enjoyed the beers that I had, but I agree, the pricing was very strange, and a little irritating. Expensive halves, cheap-ish strong beers, ending up with random 50p tokens that were difficult to use. Oh and the barman told me that the half pint glasses were oversized, pointing to the third-pint line and suggesting that he'd given me a good measure, when in fact, they were not oversized and he'd given me a short measure. We gave up after £5 worth of tokens and went to the Hop to watch the band.

I had a pint of Sea of Tranquility which was good, a Summer Wine IPA a couple of stouts and a couple of other pale ales. And a Grateful Dead from Steel City (I think, I wasn't really noting what I was having). My OH had a couple of Red beers and a rather tasty 7% stout.

In the end we used up the £20 worth of vouchers we'd bought, had a another from the main bar then decanted to The Hop for a couple more. After that the evening is somewhat hazy.

Do you have hollow legs? ;)

Was tipped off about 'ticker tax' last night, unlikely to go now unless they're operating like McSpoons where they run two halves through as a pint! Wanted to try about 10 beers, so would end up paying about a a fiver over the odds. Then when you add in the tokens which come in multiples of £5 and aren't refundable you quickly end up spending a lot more than you intended! A shame, as the pint prices seem reasonable from what I've seen but you get hammered for drinking smaller measures

I`m thinking of starting with a couple of halves of something light (and cheap) and then buy pints to split between us into half glasses.