Any tech people relate to this?

Waldo

I work alone, so not much of an issue for me; but I often hear stories involving non-technical middle management types calling the shots and making (poor ill-informed) technical decisions and disregarding the advice of their own in-house technical people...

Anyhow, just wondered if anyone could relate to this kind of thing?

I work alone, so not much of an issue for me; but I often hear stories involving non-technical middle management types calling the shots and making (poor ill-informed) technical decisions and disregarding the advice of their own in-house technical people...

Anyhow, just wondered if anyone could relate to this kind of thing?

In my experience, (in non-tech industries,) the higher up the greasy pole you look, the less likely the people in charge are to have tech/computer skills as they often have minions to do that sort of stuff for them.

Its a really interesting and intriguing brief. We'll take this as a starting point and work through a development process in conjunction with yourselves to identify the important criteria and requirements and produce a solution that delivers exactly what you need.

Sometimes it just takes someone with a very special skill set to take the 'think we want' requirements and turn them into 'exactly what we need' solutions.

Seems to happen all too often, some of the largest retail chains in America are suffering because the people in charge are utter morons.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/22/home_depot_ignored_staff_warnings_of_security_fail_laundry_list/

Home Depot is facing claims it ignored security warnings from staff, who say prior to its loss of 56 million credit cards, it failed to update anti virus since 2007

The fixer-upper retail giant failed to conduct even basic adequate scans in line of the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS), former employees told the New York Times, with more than a dozen customer information databases unvelievably marked as off-limits to security staff.

executives rejected requests to improve the state of security.

Executives reportedly told pleading staff that "we sell hammers".

Archived