Raising awareness- bike helmets, skate parks etc

SamMT

A plastic hat is no substitute for a bit of common. The cycle trainers I know had one kid turn up with his front brake disconnected because Dad didn't know how to adjust it. Kid says, Dad says I’ll be alight, I've got a helmet on. So often I see them fitted badly, wrong size, on backwards even, just so that the parents can have peace of mind.

By all means get the kids to wear one, it may help in some kinds of impact, children often have low speed incidents that the cycle helmets are tested for, it may not help at all in others.

It needs to be fitted properly, and they don’t give the rider a magic force field of protection.

Not sure which 'world champions' you are referring to.

These guys..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=world+champion+bmx&espv=2&biw=1440&bih=799&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=IrEeVJ31Le7g7Qb0zoDICw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=world+champion+bmx&espv=2&biw=1440&bih=799&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=IrEeVJ31Le7g7Qb0zoDICw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=world+champion+skateboard

"helmets can save lives", but not "will always save lives".

I haven't said anything contrary to this, what's your point? That they shouldn't be worn because they might not save your life?

I see what your saying Dutch, but if your trying to teach children to be safe then from the start they should wear a helmet. It's about being responsible for your own health and wellbeing.

It's like if your doing some grinding, you would wear safety glasses as its only one little piece of metal that can blind you.

Why expose your child to unnecessary risks by not putting a helmet on them? You make them wear a seatbelt...

If you make helmets compulsory at skate parks, then most of the kids will be skating elsewhere i.e. in the streets. Skaters tend to be very anti-helmet, it's a cultural thing.

Anyone got any stats/evidence that head injuries in skate parks actually occur with any frequency?

If you make helmets compulsory at skate parks, then most of the kids will be skating elsewhere i.e. in the streets. Skaters tend to be very anti-helmet, it's a cultural thing.

I think the OP is trying to 'raise awareness' of the dangers, rather than make something compulsory

Anyone got any stats/evidence that head injuries in skate parks actually occur with any frequency?

Some stuff here..

http://www.rospa.com/leisuresafety/adviceandinformation/playsafety/skateboarding-safety.aspx

"Head injuries accounted for around 20% of all (skateboarding) injuries"

"Most serious injuries would have been prevented if correct protective gear had been worn."

Edited by RootsBooster

SamMT, I'm sorry you've got this response, but not surprised. The one thing that the forum does is test an argument!

Of course, there will be a small amount of instances when a helmet may have made little or no difference, and I know someone who claims that if he had been wearing a helmet he would have been even more damaged in his accident.

As a parent, I'm taken aback by the number of kids in skateboard parks who don't wear protective headgear. I think awareness does need to be raised here and good on you for raising this.

Personally, I always make sure my kids wear helmets when skating/boarding/biking. The older ones protest and say they don't like wearing them. 'Fine', I say, 'leave the bike/board at home then'. They soon put it on.

I do think there is a 'gap' in education here that needs filling.