Mass shootings in America

4 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I'm not sure what to think about this bit.......

"A prosecutor said the suspects would be charged as adults"

in america they are a bit more strict than us at locking people up, not sure what the definition of child v adult is in the US tbh, but 16/17 is close to being an adult, would be 18 here. A mass shooting where 4 people died, and tens injured is a pretty serious offence.

10 minutes ago, melthebell said:

in america they are a bit more strict than us at locking people up, not sure what the definition of child v adult is in the US tbh, but 16/17 is close to being an adult, would be 18 here. A mass shooting where 4 people died, and tens injured is a pretty serious offence.

My bold

Agreed. I'm just not sure that treating them as adults is the way to go. I mean, the stricter laws and much harsher sentences in the states don't seem to do much to deter crime. In fact even the death sentence dosent seem to be a deterrent. 

To me it feels more like revenge or playing to the the public than it does anything else.

2 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold

Agreed. I'm just not sure that treating them as adults is the way to go. I mean, the stricter laws and much harsher sentences in the states don't seem to do much to deter crime. In fact even the death sentence dosent seem to be a deterrent. 

To me it feels more like revenge or playing to the the public than it does anything else.

playing to the public possibly, people were complaining it took long enough to find out any details on who did it, and we still dont know a motive

54 minutes ago, melthebell said:

playing to the public possibly, people were complaining it took long enough to find out any details on who did it, and we still dont know a motive

Yeah I'd be interested to know the motive if for no other reason than to know how they try to rationalise it.

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

If what is happening in the US over the past few years, let alone the past few weeks, had actually taken place in the UK, the US State Dept would be issuing warnings to its citizens warning them of travelling to the UK. 

Some perspective:

(Re-post)

The reality?

With a population five times the U.K., and the Left's anti- American/anti-Capitalist bias, they have a never ending choice of mayhem to feature.

Gallup

Crime Rate Lower in United States, Canada Than in Britain

Britons have lowest confidence in their police, Canadians most

https://news.gallup.com/poll/21346/crime-rate-lower-united-states-canada-than-britain.aspx#:~:text=The results show that 21,%2C and 4% in Britain.

World Population Revue

Crime Rate by Country

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/crime-rate-by-country

The Land of Hope and Glory has nothing to be proud about in the crime statistics.

Our younger colonial cousins are still learning!  :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

Some perspective:

(Re-post)

The reality?

With a population five times the U.K., and the Left's anti- American/anti-Capitalist bias, they have a never ending choice of mayhem to feature.

Gallup

Crime Rate Lower in United States, Canada Than in Britain

Britons have lowest confidence in their police, Canadians most

https://news.gallup.com/poll/21346/crime-rate-lower-united-states-canada-than-britain.aspx#:~:text=The results show that 21,%2C and 4% in Britain.

World Population Revue

Crime Rate by Country

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/crime-rate-by-country

The Land of Hope and Glory has nothing to be proud about in the crime statistics.

Our younger colonial cousins are still learning!  :)

youve already posted that crap to spin it

going to school and work should NOT be a death sentence to the vast majority of people in a country, with over 300/400 MASS shootings a year

16 minutes ago, melthebell said:

youve already posted that crap to spin it

going to school and work should NOT be a death sentence to the vast majority of people in a country, with over 300/400 MASS shootings a year

My bold

Over doing that a bit? It's a 'death sentence ' to a tiny fraction of society in America. Having said that the situation over there is insane and I'm glad I don't I've there.

I was watching a video not that long ago (ill try and find it) where a mum was giving her young child tips on how to stay safe if there's an active shooter in school. It was heartbreaking to see but I was amazed at how the kid just accepted it like it wasn't a big deal. 

I accept guns are a big part of American culture so they are unlikely to be banned. What dosent help though are the arguments from the anti gun people who use buzzwords, feelings and misinformation to try and win an argument they might actually win if they kept it real and stuck to the facts.