Mass shootings in America

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

Guns don't aim and fire themselves. So there may be other complex reasons that contribute to the problem.

An ongoing political war between parents and Teachers Unions over curriculum. (Lap dance by a fat hairy trans, for a student, anyone?)

Lack of respect for the "institutions of higher learning". (see above)

The relatively poor outcomes for students, despite a high expenditure compared globally.

In any event the U.S. is still the most sought out country for global immigrants.

4 million, or so, in the last couple years!

But we all agree school shootings BAD! 

Needed!

A quick and summary judgement of these human debris perpetrators, including capital punishment.

As it is the perp will be treated as a "case study" by the usual subjects, hospitalised, interviewed, the subject of endless psychological study papers, to discover the roots of her anti-social behavior.

They've already started.

NASHVILLE, Tennessee, March 28 (Reuters) - The former student of a Christian grade school in Nashville who killed three 9-year-olds and three adults in a shooting spree there was under a doctor's care for an "emotional disorder" and had amassed a collection of guns, the city's police chief said on Tuesday.

Maybe she/he/it is just another victim of a racist, bigoted, homophobic society"  :)

I’ve amassed a large collection of knives, of which I keep in a block and a cutlery drawer, to date I have not stabbed anyone. I’m not taking current events lightly, there’s very little that can be done in respect of knives, however guns and idiots can be kept apart from each other.

39 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I quite agree.

There are over 400 million guns in the USA in an estimated population of 350 million people

Last year there were around 25,000 gun related suicides and 25,000 homicides.

In the grand scheme of things thats a lot of guns that are owned by responsible gun owners

Also, the majority of guns used in homicides would be illegally owned anyway

What people are suggesting is to take away the guns from the law abiding citizens  and leaving them venerable to the criminals who have illegal firearms

And we also know from history that if you ban something that is in high demand then all you do is create a black market thats even harder to control

Edited by Jack Grey
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

There are over 400 million guns in the USA in an estimated population of 350 million people

Last year there were around 25,000 gun related suicides and 25,000 homicides.

In the grand scheme of things thats a lot of guns that are owned by responsible gun owners

Also, the majority of guns used in homicides would be illegally owned anyway

What people are suggesting is to take away the guns from the law abiding citizens  and leaving them venerable to the criminals who have illegal firearms

And we also know from history that if you ban something that is in high demand then all you do is create a black market thats even harder to control

And so, your suggestion is  .........  do nothing!    That's what they are doing

And so it carries on

Edited by Organgrinder

3 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

And so, your suggestion is  .........  do nothing!    That's what they are doing

The whole situation appears utterly ridiculous and baffling to most non Americans. The problem is that it is hardwired into their culture and has been reinforced by the films and the music created in the USA.

I've only been to the States once and that was to New York in 1979. Early one evening a mate of mine and I were sat in a bar on Greeley Square on Broadway. There were four customers in addition to me and my mate and two bar men.

We were all sat at the bar and got into conversation, we were asked what we thought was the main difference between NY and London ( my mate was a Londoner ) we said the proliferation of guns. We'd only been there three days at that point but had seen guns drawn twice -by the cops and not fired fortunately -  a couple of other guys in our group had been next door to a jewellery shop robbery where the thieves fired a shotgun into the ceiling to get everyones attention!

This started a conversation on firearms and the rest of the customers and the barmen produced their personal weapons for comparison and informed discussion as to their suitability. My mate and I looked at each other in the realisation that we were the only unarmed people in the bar!

It's ingrained as a God given right in their ethos and as crazy as that seems to us I can't see how that can be changed.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

And so it carries on

Im not saying do nothing.

Personally i think its ridiculous that they can buy assault rifles

Would be good to limit sales to handguns unless they have a hunting license which means they can buy bolt action rifles

Edited by Jack Grey

7 minutes ago, m williamson said:

The whole situation appears utterly ridiculous and baffling to most non Americans. The problem is that it is hardwired into their culture and has been reinforced by the films and the music created in the USA.

I've only been to the States once and that was to New York in 1979. Early one evening a mate of mine and I were sat in a bar on Greeley Square on Broadway. There were four customers in addition to me and my mate and two bar men.

We were all sat at the bar and got into conversation, we were asked what we thought was the main difference between NY and London ( my mate was a Londoner ) we said the proliferation of guns. We'd only been there three days at that point but had seen guns drawn twice -by the cops and not fired fortunately -  a couple of other guys in our group had been next door to a jewellery shop robbery where the thieves fired a shotgun into the ceiling to get everyones attention!

This started a conversation on firearms and the rest of the customers and the barmen produced their personal weapons for comparison and informed discussion as to their suitability. My mate and I looked at each other in the realisation that we were the only unarmed people in the bar!

It's ingrained as a God given right in their ethos and as crazy as that seems to us I can't see how that can be changed.

I understand what you are saying completely and it does show why other nationalities find it so hard to figure.

The problem is that deaths, on that kind of scale, and especially of children, not in the streets but in school where they should be safer than anywhere,

leaves you with the feeling that, no matter the hard wiring, this is completely  wrong and  a real effort is needed to tackle this whether it's armed guards in schools or whatever.

I've often seen Americans, show deep emotion in public, unlike we British, and I would think that a people like them could sort something out for the sake of those poor children and parents.

On top of the parental and emotional aspect, they must be very aware of the world watching and judging.

3 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Im not saying do nothing.

Personally i think its ridiculous that they can buy assault rifles

Would be good to limit sales to handguns unless they have a hunting license which means they can but bolt action rifles

That I agree with.