To any students having parties at unsocial hours..

empirical

I'm not a student btw but I do have excellent neighbours. I do however have two students in the house (daughter and boyfriend). The boyfriend is a music student who is a drummer so it can get noisy when he's practising. We talked to neighbours. Have agreed times and apart from one who would moan if a pin dropped no problems.

Parties when we have them we invite neighbours. Never a problem but then we;re not having them every week :)

Last year i rang the police and nothing was done, this year i will be ringing somebody else if necessary.

Some of us are ill and some of us have to work at the weekends, why on earth they think it is fine to be loud all night at the weekend i do not know, be rest assured when you are all hungover in the morning we will be wide awake and full of energy.... ;-)

Have some consideration please, it is everybody's best interests.

I used to live next door to some students. My god was it a nightmare. Music played at stupid volume for what seemed like 24/7. The night times were the worst. Groups of students hanging around shouting screaming breaking bottles, breaking windows. The police did jack no matter how many times they were called so in the end a few of us clubbed together and dealt with it. Since then no problems at all.

There is a number you can ring for University security, I had it years ago, but don't know it now. I am sure if you contact the uni they will tell you.

Apparently if said students cause too much disruption in the area they live they can be chucked out of uni. Just bear it in mind. I live in the middle of a student area, and have done for over 30 years, and they are gradually taking over, so it may be time to think about moving,

Parking is the biggest bugbear for us, some houses have up to five cars on a road of terrace houses, and very few move from week to week.

There is a number you can ring for University security, I had it years ago, but don't know it now. I am sure if you contact the uni they will tell you.

Apparently if said students cause too much disruption in the area they live they can be chucked out of uni. Just bear it in mind. I live in the middle of a student area, and have done for over 30 years, and they are gradually taking over, so it may be time to think about moving,

Parking is the biggest bugbear for us, some houses have up to five cars on a road of terrace houses, and very few move from week to week.

Someone i know used to check the students cars via ASKMID. Hed then report all the cars without insurance and they would get removed. You would be surprised how many students drive around uninsured ;)

There are plenty of non-students who do worse but the question has to be asked, why persist in living in a student area if you don't like the downsides?

Another question: Why should people be driven out from their home (where they may have lived for years)?

Granma.

---------- Post added 20-09-2014 at 10:49 ----------

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/communityrelations/studentbehaviour/complaints

Granma.

I first came to Sheffield as a student back in 1994.

Surely most of these problems can be avoided by:

1) Existing residents: Try to get to know your neighbours, and build a rapport so they know you work and need sleep much more than they need noise, booze and drugs.

2) Students: Don't make too much noise during the week, let your neighbours know when you're having a party, and don't have every party in the same house in the same street every night.

Of course if none of that works you can always employ a local nutter to go around and "have a word." (Very effective)

One of the neighbours in my previous home complained about us to the council for having a party even though the music was off at 11pm, but they had told the council it was going till early hours in the morning. This was bull as we'd stopped early so we could head to the pub for a lock-in.

After that I had to write a letter to all the neighbours surrounding the house telling them a week in advanced that I were having a party. Was really annoying as we couldn't have a random bbq etc as we'd not given enough notice. I don't miss that area one bit

1) Existing residents: Try to get to know your neighbours, and build a rapport so they know you work and need sleep much more than they need noise, booze and drugs.

I dont need to build a rapport with people to realise that they need sleep. Its called common sense. I also dont need to build a rapport with someone who wants to take drugs. I dont like drug takers and that was another massive problem we ended up sorting out ourselves.

---------- Post added 20-09-2014 at 11:05 ----------

2) Students: Don't make too much noise during the week, let your neighbours know when you're having a party, and don't have every party in the same house in the same street every night.

Of course if none of that works you can always employ a local nutter to go around and "have a word." (Very effective)

Chances are it wont be a local nutter who has a word but more likely exasperated neighbours who have had their fill of selfish kids making all the noise they like.