Who Is Your Favourite Dark Age Briton?

On the assumption we agree that the Dark Ages covered the period from the Romans leaving to the Norman invasion (yes I know that is a big assumption) who is the stand out character?

Alfred the Great would appear to be the stand out nomination but let’s not ignore Athelstan, Offa, the Venerable Bede, Gildas the Monk, Edmund Ironside. Not forgetting Hengist and Horsa and, of course, the invading Vikings, Eric Bloodaxe etc..

Given the topicality of the Scottish referendum and the debate about what it is to be British, this is the era that first defined Britishness.

My vote goes to Alfred but it is a close run thing with Athelstan.

On the assumption we agree that the Dark Ages covered the period from the Romans leaving to the Norman invasion (yes I know that is a big assumption) who is the stand out character?

Alfred the Great would appear to be the stand out nomination but let’s not ignore Athelstan, Offa, the Venerable Bede, Gildas the Monk, Edmund Ironside. Not forgetting Hengist and Horsa and, of course, the invading Vikings, Eric Bloodaxe etc..

Given the topicality of the Scottish referendum and the debate about what it is to be British, this is the era that first defined Britishness.

My vote goes to Alfred but it is a close run thing with Athelstan.

Wasn't Alfred that bloke that burnt his cakes? :huh:

He'd have been voted out first week on The Great British Bake Off! :roll:

St Brendan, legendary coracle sailor, who travelled all over (possibly discovering America 1000 years before Columbus) and died aged 94.

OK, he's Irish.

Then he doesn't bloody count does he? :loopy:

Honestly...

---------- Post added 20-09-2014 at 11:54 ----------

Wasn't Alfred that bloke that burnt his cakes? :huh:

He'd have been voted out first week on The Great British Bake Off! :roll:

That's a very good point you make there.

Archived