Who Is Your Favourite Dark Age Briton?

Most mentioned may be St Patrick.

Saint Patrick was French.

Recent research carried out by the Reverend Marcus Losack a protestant clergyman is claimed to prove this.

Years ago I visited the isle of St Honore of the coast of France near Canne.

There was a plaque on the monastery wall saying that St Patrick studied there before returning to convert the Irish.

That makes no sense if he was British, traveling nearly a thousand miles and having to learn another language before he could study?

He was French it's the only other country where Patrick is a common name.

I'm going with King Egbert because he came to Sheffield!

St Brendan, legendary coracle sailor, who travelled all over (possibly discovering America 1000 years before Columbus) and died aged 94.

OK, he's Irish.

How about St Patrick then? He was English and founded the famous St Patrick's Day festival where people drink black beer in plastic marquees.

Or Cnut.

That bloke who duffed up Robin Hood, you know the guy who robbed the rich and gave the money to the poor then robbed the poor and shot the money.

Also the guy with the bow and arrow who shot the kiwi off his sons head. He'd likely get a 6 month stretch for that these days... ah, good times... good times

On the assumption we agree that the Dark Ages covered the period from the Romans leaving to the Norman invasion (yes I know that is a big assumption) who is the stand out character?

Alfred the Great would appear to be the stand out nomination but let’s not ignore Athelstan, Offa, the Venerable Bede, Gildas the Monk, Edmund Ironside. Not forgetting Hengist and Horsa and, of course, the invading Vikings, Eric Bloodaxe etc..

Given the topicality of the Scottish referendum and the debate about what it is to be British, this is the era that first defined Britishness.

My vote goes to Alfred but it is a close run thing with Athelstan.

Good idea to drop the idea of "Dark" ages.

The period really was not that dark.

How about St Patrick then? He was English and founded the famous St Patrick's Day festival where people drink black beer in plastic marquees.

Or Cnut.

Take it you didn't bother reading the post immediately before yours then?

And that's the first time that I've ever heard anyone claim that he was English, Welsh yes, but English no.

He was French.

King Egbert, agreed an alliance at a meeting in Dore and was the reason England came into being.

Probably a Blade as well, what's not to like? :D

Take it you didn't bother reading the post immediately before yours then?

I read it after posting, oh well, not the end of the world.

And that's the first time that I've ever heard anyone claim that he was English, Welsh yes, but English no.

He was French.

St Patrick? I thought he came from Ravenglass in Cumbria. That's one theory anyway.

Is it known that he's a Dark Ages figure? He was from the 5th C so probably from before the Romans cut loose from Britain.

Archived