Help needed re Tapton sch and Ponds Forge

Cat70

My 15 yr old daughter has been told that she can't do Pe at Tapton without taking her ear piercings out. This is the school policy which is fair enough however she was led to believe that as she was able to tape them up for the last 5 years they were not enforcing this policy.

This year they are and she cannot take them out and get them back in safely without them getting infected. After a meeting with school yesterday with us both battling our corner about health and safety we came to an impasse and I suggested that I take her out of school for her PE lesson. School seemed happy with this, and it should work well with her having double PE with break in the middle (10.15-12.30).

I tried to book a spin session at Ponds Forge which was easy for me and then they said she would need to be a member. At £12/month this is fine, then they said she would need to be linked to an adult member and her amount would come out of their direct debit. I can't afford £42/month for us both to take her to a session each week. Kevin the manager said he would try to do something about this in the future but it would take a long time to change their policy.

PE is tomorrow morning and i need to find a class i can take her to ( I am happy to do it aswell). I'm annoyed that it is so difficult for young people to book onto a fitness session and could do with some help if anyone has any ideas about where i could take her as i need proof of her doing PE to take to school, many thanks, Catherine

If she cant take them in and out without getting them infected I as a parent wouldnt have allowed her to have them in the first place.

I think the school is being way too soft on you, if the rules regarding piercings (which are presumably in the prospectus you read when your daughter joined) I would say you should abide by them.

Maybe you indulge your daughter too much. Why not just take the earrings out and let her ears heal up till she's left school when she can have them pierced again. In the meantime she could wear clip-ons if needs must. All this fannying about over some jewellry is just going to mean a lot of disrupting which she could do without. Her ears aren't more important than her education being disrupted in her run-up to GCSEs. A sense of perspective would come in useful.

Some of your answers sound so simplistic, before I had children I would have thought the same-if only it was that easy to parent a teenager! Her ear piercings are part of her self made identity which helps her cope with what life throws at her. She will not take them out and i understand why she chooses not to. i however choose which battles to fight.

My 15 yr old daughter has been told that she can't do Pe at Tapton without taking her ear piercings out. This is the school policy which is fair enough however she was led to believe that as she was able to tape them up for the last 5 years they were not enforcing this policy.

This year they are and she cannot take them out and get them back in safely without them getting infected. After a meeting with school yesterday with us both battling our corner about health and safety we came to an impasse and I suggested that I take her out of school for her PE lesson. School seemed happy with this, and it should work well with her having double PE with break in the middle (10.15-12.30).

That's unreasonable, they should let her tape them up.

However, being practical, if the piercings are 5 years old, taking them out for a couple of hours and putting them back should be straightforward and I can't see why there'd be an infection risk?

Some of your answers sound so simplistic, before I had children I would have thought the same-if only it was that easy to parent a teenager! Her ear piercings are part of her self made identity which helps her cope with what life throws at her. She will not take them out and i understand why she chooses not to. i however choose which battles to fight.

Does anyone know if there is an 'I never heard anything so ridiculous in all my born days' Smiley, I can't find it