Help needed re Tapton sch and Ponds Forge

Cat70

Is it vital she does a spin class? There are plenty of other things you can do without being a member...

I'm not saying much about the tapton issue, as I'm a former student and they've always picked a few people each year to try and enforce this rule - they don't dare though if jewellery is part of cultural heritage which stinks. They tried it with me in 6th form, and I told them to stuff it as PE was no longer compulsory then.

There should be no problems with them being taped up either. The only sport that could cause an issue with is trampolining, on the off chance the tape comes off.

Here's a scenario.

Child does PE, having been told to take piercings out. Child is involved in accident, where ear lobe is ripped, due to earring getting caught on something.

The school has a risk assessment in place, which makes clear the risk of wearing jewellery. They go against that as one child is stubborn.

School leaves itself open to being sued for not following its own risk assessments. Any claim would be guaranteed to succeed against them, whether the parents have become involved or not.

Stud holes don't heal up in 3 hours - I had piercings as a kid - she should just do the lesson.

Some of your answers sound so simplistic, before I had children I would have thought the same-if only it was that easy to parent a teenager! Her ear piercings are part of her self made identity which helps her cope with what life throws at her. She will not take them out and i understand why she chooses not to. i however choose which battles to fight.

Absolute drivel, Tell your daughter to remove them for P.E or she will be grounded and if that doesnt work take her laptop/ipad/phone and internet access.

Its called being a parent

For the sake of setting a good example to your child and maintaining her physical health you should abide by the school rules. Soon enough she will be at work and will have to learn that rules are there to be followed. You should also teach her to wash her hands before removing the earrings, wash the ear lobes and also clean the earrings themselves. In this way there should be no reason for them to become infected. If the infection persists after doing this you ought to leave the jewellery out and see a doctor to have a swab taken and perhaps a course of antibiotics.

Has she looked into getting a Life card? It offers 20% discount on swimming and some on classes too I think, costs about a fiver to get, and lasts a year. I don't think you need to have an adult linked to it, but I could be wrong.

Some of your answers sound so simplistic, before I had children I would have thought the same-if only it was that easy to parent a teenager! Her ear piercings are part of her self made identity which helps her cope with what life throws at her. She will not take them out and i understand why she chooses not to. i however choose which battles to fight.

Load of rubbish, be a parent not a friend. Her ears will not heal up in 2 days never mind 2 hours. What do you think would cause an infection. I imagine they are little stud ones as she woudlnt be able to sleep in big long ones or massive hoops. You havent said if thy are new piercings, if so then you have a case but from your wording i have taken it that they are old ones

My bold - REALLY????????? her self made identity which helps her cope.......... jesus christ what will she do in a couple of years time when she wants a job? will her "self made identity" come into effect there if there is a dress code at work? Does she wear the school uniform? or does she wear what she likes because that part of her self made identity? if she wears school uniform then she is already following the school protocol so tell her to stop being a baby, stop stomping her feet and take the earrings out for PE. If she chose to go to school in jeans, wellies and a t-shirt because "it helped her cope with whatever life threw at her" would you allow it? If she decided to get a tattoo (if she looks 18) because it was part of her identity would you disagree.

If she chooses not to obey the schools rules then the school should deal with her in accordance with those rules. I admire that you want her to do a spin class but you will not find many gyms that have sessions for kids in the city centre. Why not buy a bike then you can go when you want for as long as you want instead of waiting for a class and wasting £54 a month on membership.

I would also note that if you are at Tapton School then you would have to allocate time to travel to and from the school to any out of school activity so the actual exercise time is a lot less then the time partaking in activity at school . So infact you are supporting the deprivement of her education as well as social interaction with her peers because you refuse to support the school in making her take out the earrings

Edited by sheffbag

I think the school policy is fair it just hasn't been enforced, enabling daughter to have industrial ear piercing put in, as when challenged about what she would do in pe she believed she could tape it up. I work with many young people with mental health issues and I am careful about which issues I tackle, are you understanding me? Therefore the best solution is to do pe elsewhere and try and get through this year as stress free as possible! Constructive help really appreciated

---------- Post added 23-09-2014 at 13:23 ----------

I have to prove to school she is doing pe, so receipt would be useful.

I just wonder what is important here - a school sets rules - some of which are to ensure the safety of the students. No like the rules - no go to that school. But even more important, when a student leaves school and goes along for job and is told the rules and expectations of that employer - will he/she say - I'm not doing that! Education is not simply RRR- it is about learning to live within a society, be that school or college or Sheffield or wherever and accepting the expectations of that society. Wearing earrings, even taped can be a health hazard - and I am sure that a 1 hour without the jewellery will not cause the piercing to heal. Please look to your child's future and what is important about school life - support the school and encourage your youngster to accept something she may not like, but is part of life - respect for expectations and rules- whether we agree with them or not.

I work with many young people with mental health issues and I am careful about which issues I tackle, are you understanding me? Therefore the best solution is to do pe elsewhere and try and get through this year as stress free as possible! Constructive help really appreciated.
Up until this point, I thought the responses were constructive help. Maybe a bit blunt, but helpful and constructive.

But reading this latest post makes me think there is a wider context. Is she on the school's SEN register under behavioural or emotional issues. I'm not having a pop, we just need to understand if you want good advice