Help needed re Tapton sch and Ponds Forge

Cat70

Tapton is one of the most sought-after state schools in Sheffield and many parents would do anything to get their kids in there.

Perhaps the OP should take their child out of Tapton and give the place to another child who'd appreciate it more?

if anyone has any ideas about where i could take her as i need proof of her doing PE to take to school, many thanks, Catherine

Take her for a run

Or book a tennis court together

Lots of cost effective options without joining a gym

---------- Post added 23-09-2014 at 21:54 ----------

Some of your answers sound so simplistic, before I had children I would have thought the same-if only it was that easy to parent a teenager! Her ear piercings are part of her self made identity which helps her cope with what life throws at her. She will not take them out and i understand why she chooses not to. i however choose which battles to fight.

School is not a self-identity parade, the children do as they are told. This is why so many now suffer in the workplace. Perfectly reasonable for an employer to make the same demands in the future.

Stop looking for battles and let the school educate your child.

How many cases of ear injury due to earrings not taken out have there been? What kind of scenario does there have to be to get that kind of injury in schools? If any of the activities could lead to a severe injury then surely that activity should not be done. What national coaching courses do pe teachers undertake,

I had to do risk assessments before taking groups on activities and the most dangerous piece of bling was a ring, this can be caught and your finger damaged but I have never heard of earrings causing injuries.

By Industrial piercing do you mean a Scaffold piercing? My son had one at 15 and had to take it out a couple of times a week for PE. It never got infected but because of where it was months and months later it was still really painful to keep taking it out and putting it back in again.

He just decided to leave it out, knowing that a year or so down the line he could have it done again and wouldnt need to keep messing around with it.

Power walking in the park: cycling: Yoga in-doors, in the school, on a mat, in a corridor.

In fact, any of the myriad of sports that one person can train for alone; even hitting a tennis ball, ping pong ball, any ball ..... solo, against a wall. Even Forest Gump trained alone.

Any strengthening exercise, stretching exercise, skill exercise.

As the school are being typically awkward [as schools are nowadays] some of these solutions are just that; solutions.

Then again, drop PE or simply drop the school and let them dwell on that.

Also, take it to the LEA and give more publicity than on here: internet, social media and Press.

Power walking in the park: cycling: Yoga in-doors, in the school, on a mat, in a corridor.

In fact, any of the myriad of sports that one person can train for alone; even hitting a tennis ball, ping pong ball, any ball ..... solo, against a wall. Even Forest Gump trained alone.

Any strengthening exercise, stretching exercise, skill exercise.

As the school are being typically awkward [as schools are nowadays] some of these solutions are just that; solutions.

Also, take it to the LEA and give more publicity than on here: internet, social media and Press.

Do I sense an article in the star with a photo of two glum faces coming up?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Power walking in the park: cycling: Yoga in-doors, in the school, on a mat, in a corridor

Any strengthening exercise, stretching exercise, skill exercise..

school need evidence that PE has taken place, hence her want to go to a gym and get a receipt

it's the school is it? What in a couple of years time when she has to compromise something for work?

PE is a mandatory part of the curriculum up to 16

judging by the consensus on here, I think the parent would come out looking the worse

My daughter had to remove her ear studs a couple of weeks ago when playing football in the league that she plays in. Previously she's been allowed to tape up but the referee this time made all children with earrings take them out. She no longer wears them when playing competitive football.

Regarding a gym, have you tried Zest? They often work with schools for children who need extra exercise.

Just asked my daughter. She's Y7 at Tapton. She doesn't have to take out her stud earrings for PE - she has to tape them up though. She did mention that those pupils that do gymnastics have to remove them though.

I think there are probably more pressing issues at play here, which the OP should consider.

However, on the issue of the school requiring evidence. Could she not keep a journal, video diary, or spread-sheet logging progress in an activity? Would that satisfy the schools requirement for evidence?

For example, take her running, log each run, date, distance, time, pace etc. Use a spreadsheet, or a Garmin watch or smart-phone with a running app. These will log dates and times for you, which may be used as evidence.

Does sound like a lot of messing around though, and I would be concerned an egotistical stubbornness or lack of flexibility etc, was behind the motivation for this. That's something only you can judge for yourself...

Oh, also, you could try the park runs on Saturday mornings. Good luck!

---------- Post added 24-09-2014 at 09:01 ----------

school need evidence that PE has taken place, hence her want to go to a gym and get a receipt

Just as a matter of interest; how do the school know that the receipt is for a specific individual (the OP's daughter)?