Air strikes against Islamic State/ISIS..

Looks like Turkey are doing nothing to stop ISIS taking the border town of Kobane. They probably hope ISIS wipe out the Kurds before taking any action.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@36.8973151,38.3520553,676m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

That is VERY close to the Turkish border but it's not within the Turkish border whatsoever, is it? Surely, Turkey must have sent troops to the adjacent border? It's a strange stance to take. Have Turkish forces been involved at all in so far?

That is VERY close to the Turkish border but it's not within the Turkish border whatsoever, is it? Surely, Turkey must have sent troops to the adjacent border? It's a strange stance to take. Have Turkish forces been involved at all in so far?

Their forces are their but just watching.

I think that Turkey consider the Kurdish army to be terrorists, so maybe they're waiting for ISIS to do their dirty work?

:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

Why the confusion? You said this...

And helping the weaker side will make sure its lasts longer than it otherwise would.

So in order to shorten a conflict you offer no help and allow the bully to succeed?

Me too.

And yet you replied without confusion.:rolleyes:

If you spotted Michael Adebolajo & Michael Adebowale going at each other with machettes, on who's side would you wade in?

What a mind bendingly ludicrous analogy

---------- Post added 07-10-2014 at 11:28 ----------

I think that Turkey consider the Kurdish army to be terrorists, so maybe they're waiting for ISIS to do their dirty work?

Which begs the question, do Turkey consider ISIS less of a threat and less terrorist.

Well considering their NATO partners have been queueing up to arm the Kurds I'm not surprised that Turkey will take its foot of the gas when it comes to helping them short term. That said if IS are daft enough to have a go at turkey (which I'm not sure they are) things will escalate rather quickly.

Which begs the question, do Turkey consider ISIS less of a threat and less terrorist.

If you look at it historically, a Kurdish sate may well end up taking some land of the Turks, so they may well consider ISIS to be less of a threat. Unfortunately old hatreds die hard.

Well considering their NATO partners have been queueing up to arm the Kurds I'm not surprised that Turkey will take its foot of the gas when it comes to helping them short term. That said if IS are daft enough to have a go at turkey (which I'm not sure they are) things will escalate rather quickly.

Isis are smart enough to know any incursion into Turkey (pretty close at the moment) would be fatal. Turkey possess the second largest army in NATO. And NATO would be obliged to defend Turkey, although Turkey are more than capable of sorting things themselves.

But, as JFK v Nixon has pointed out, things are a bit more complicated for historical reasons.

Edited by GLASGOWOODS