The Constable family,Malin Bridge S6.

mossdog

Anyone got any tales of the Constable family who lived on Stannington Road nearly opposite the Anvil pub many years ago?

They were known as the"Connie Clan" and also the 'Mucky Million" Two of them worked at J&J Dysons brickworks at Stannington. One of them died while working there very young.My partner used to deliver papers there and was always chased by them for no reason at all really.They seemed a well known family at the time,just wondered what happened to them.

Anyone got any tales of the Constable family who lived on Stannington Road nearly opposite the Anvil pub many years ago?

They were known as the"Connie Clan" and also the 'Mucky Million" Two of them worked at J&J Dysons brickworks at Stannington. One of them died while working there very young.My partner used to deliver papers there and was always chased by them for no reason at all really.They seemed a well known family at the time,just wondered what happened to them.

Was one of them a biker?

...They seemed a well known family at the time,just wondered what happened to them.
Many of them are still around - Duncan still lives in S6 and Pamela in S5. Colin and Mary Constable had at least eight children, perhaps more - I know of Colin Jnr., Irene, Mary, Duncan, Pamela, Kathleen, Gwendoline and George. I was born just round the corner on Low Road in a house that was demolished in 1964, a few years before the Constables' house suffered the same fate. Colin Snr. died in 1972 aged 64; Mary in 1987, aged 80. There was an antiques/curio shop "Constable's" on Langsett Road, a few yards from the top entrance to Morrisons' car park, that belonged to a relative. Edited by hillsbro

Many of them are still around - Duncan still lives in S6 and Pamela in S5. Colin and Mary Constable had at least eight children, perhaps more - I know of Colin Jnr., Irene, Mary, Duncan, Pamela, Kathleen, Gwendoline and George. I was born just round the corner on Low Road in a house that was demolished in 1964, a few years before the Constables' house suffered the same fate. Colin Snr. died in 1972 aged 64; Mary in 1987, aged 80. There was an antiques/curio shop "Constable's" on Langsett Road, a few yards from the top entrance to Morrisons' car park, that belonged to a relative.
Thanks for the info Hillsbro!...........was it Mick who died young?

The one I knew was mates with Kieth Littlewood and Tony Driver but I only ever knew him as Connie. A bit older than me.
What's happened to "Kieth Sidney Littlewood" (Lits) anyone know?...he only lived up Myers Grove not far from the Constables!

What's happened to "Kieth Sidney Littlewood"...
He's also still around and lives in S6. He used to have a stall at the top of Dixon lane selling "Keith's Super Socks". I remember hearing about him when I was at King Edward's in the 1960s. Like me he went to Malin Bridge Junior, a few years before me, and took his 11-plus in 1953. He can be seen in this 1955 photo, second from the right on the back row, but he apparently "left" ;) King Ted's not long after the photo was taken.

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 16:38 ----------

Thanks for the info Hillsbro!...........was it Mick who died young?
I really don't know as we moved to Hillsborough when I was little and I can only go on what I've heard over the years. I remember my dad telling me that one of the boys died young, from meningitis I think.

He's also still around and lives in S6. He used to have a stall at the top of Dixon lane selling "Keith's Super Socks". I remember hearing about him when I was at King Edward's in the 1960s. Like me he went to Malin Bridge Junior, a few years before me, and took his 11-plus in 1953. He can be seen in this 1955 photo, second from the right on the back row, but he apparently "left" ;) King Ted's not long after the photo was taken.

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 16:38 ----------

I really don't know as we moved to Hillsborough when I was little and I can only go on what I've heard over the years. I remember my dad telling me that one of the boys died young, from meningitis I think.

Spot on as usual Hillsbro!......think it was Mick!.........did you ever visit the Palms Cafe on Middlewood Road before Bronco Lane took it over? Any further tales of Tommy Lunney newspaper man at Hillsborough corner and Gree'un round the pubs and clubs ,always welcome!(my wifes uncle by the way). Edited by mossdog