The Constable family,Malin Bridge S6.

mossdog

Hi mossdog - I remember the Palms Café but I don't think I ever went in. Tommy Lunney was a great character - everyone in Hillsborough knew him. I always smile wistfully to myself when I think of this much-loved newspaper seller. I'll repeat here what my parents told me, and what I wrote on the "Tommy thread". During the early part of the war he would try to sell more papers with reports of German advances by shouting "Germans march in Amsterdam", "Germans march in Paris" etc. If nothing much was happening he would shout "Germans march in Berlin". When I last saw him he told me of another one of his pronouncements "England declares war on Great Britain". Here is a link to a scan of Eric Leslie's drawing. A lovely bloke, sadly missed by us Hillsborough oldies.

By the way, by looking online at the births index I found the youngest of the Constable children, Malcolm who was born in 1952. Also using public records I've established that the antique shop on Langsett Road was run by Elsie Constable, née Killalee. The Killalees lived on Low Road in the 1940s/50s next door to us, and Elsie married Alf Constable, a nephew of Colin Constable Snr.

He's also still around and lives in S6. He used to have a stall at the top of Dixon lane selling "Keith's Super Socks". I remember hearing about him when I was at King Edward's in the 1960s. Like me he went to Malin Bridge Junior, a few years before me, and took his 11-plus in 1953. He can be seen in this 1955 photo, second from the right on the back row, but he apparently "left" ;) King Ted's not long after the photo was taken.

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 16:38 ----------

I really don't know as we moved to Hillsborough when I was little and I can only go on what I've heard over the years. I remember my dad telling me that one of the boys died young, from meningitis I think.

A.M Dowling back row third from left did he by any chance go on to be a woodwork teacher at Myers Grove

A.M Dowling back row third from left did he by any chance go on to be a woodwork teacher at Myers Grove
Hi mediumfast - that seems quite likely. All I can say for sure is that he is Alexander Dowling, he used to help build stage sets for drama productions and in 1961 he won the senior craftwork prize. Another photo is here - he is third from the right on the front row.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...