4 year old refused haircut

mlfc

I went for a haircut today at the usual place and this time we took my 4 year old daughter who needed a trim as well.

The shop is walk in for men and appointments for women.

As my little girl only needed a trim of her shoulder length hair which takes no longer to cut than my hair I presumed this would be fine. However I was told that her hair couldn't be cut as "ladies are appointment only." This was the female business owner speaking too so not a case of an employee misunderstanding rules and the reasons for them.

I wasn't happy although I still had mine cut (practicality outweighed principles temporarily although I didn't give my usual generous, keep the change, £1 tip) as I'm sure a 4 year old boy with similar wavy, curly hair would have had no problems and it does seem like discrimination. It's certainly poor business practice as the shop wasn't exactly heaving.

What do other people think?

I would have been fussy with them on purpose just to wind them up, like once they'd cut half my hair I'd say "nope, sorry but I don't like that, start again" then they'd have to pick up all my hair and glue it back onto my head. Once they'd glued it all back on I'd say "actually I've changed my mind, I don't want a haircut, goodbye" and walk out leaving them standing there mouth agape.

You say you knew of their policy prior to going by booking your appointment yes, did they explain their reasoning? Also you're presumptuous in assuming that this cut would be fine since it would only take as long as yours... Yes bad business, but in principle they are correct, but vote with your feet!

Ring the star! They'll send a journo and photographer quick sticks and immortalise you and offspring with their uncut barnet. Remember the angry/sad face when it comes to the photos and make sure you're holding scissors!

Brilliant, sure there's a claim there too!

I went for a haircut today at the usual place and this time we took my 4 year old daughter who needed a trim as well.

The shop is walk in for men and appointments for women.

As my little girl only needed a trim of her shoulder length hair which takes no longer to cut than my hair I presumed this would be fine. However I was told that her hair couldn't be cut as "ladies are appointment only." This was the female business owner speaking too so not a case of an employee misunderstanding rules and the reasons for them.

I wasn't happy although I still had mine cut (practicality outweighed principles temporarily although I didn't give my usual generous, keep the change, £1 tip) as I'm sure a 4 year old boy with similar wavy, curly hair would have had no problems and it does seem like discrimination. It's certainly poor business practice as the shop wasn't exactly heaving.

What do other people think?

How could they tell it was a girl ?

Serious question.

It's not discrimination. Bad business, yes.

Was the service provided different due to age, sex or ethnicity? If so, is there an exemption in the Equality Act 2010 for that service?

It is discrimination, and a poor service.

---------- Post added 27-09-2014 at 14:31 ----------

Now this is worth complaining about, if you are over 40

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29387866

Archived