Info on Christine Spurr 1940's and 1950's

rowan74

Hi

I am researching my mother early life... Christine Spurr, daughter of George F Spurr and Madge Middleton. Her grandparents were George and Elizabeth Middleton.. and they lived in Regent Court, Hillsborough area in 1950's..

George was a bookmaker so people may remember him..

just looking to see if anyone has memories of my mum during this period.. I know she went to the Convent High School in Burngreave.. and as a teen was a v keen dancer.. I think she attended the contance grant dance centre but if anyone remembers or can verify this that would be much appreciated x

regards

Yeah, all the information on your post is correct. I think she was married in the early 60's but it ended in divorce after a short while. I knew her from going to the City Hall dances in the 50's. It's over fifty years ago now and everything is a bit foggy but I know she could tap dance and all the rest of it. I remember her as a nice girl because I took her to the pictures a couple of times. Somehow I seem to remember after her divorce she went to live down south.

I'm sorry I can't help you with your query on Christine's grandfather George, but I remember something about him being a bookmaker. He used to go in the 'Blue Ball', was it, near Regent Court? You've got me trying to remember the last time I saw Christine and I think it was at a party in the late 50's, she was reading people's fortunes with a pack of cards. I remember it was just before I left Sheffield. She was also a good singer, not a powerful voice you understand, but she had a very good ear for music. I hope all this has been some help.