Is Tom and Jerry Racist?

Guest sibon

I can't see any malice in the Tom and Jerry portrayal portrayal of the Mammy Two Shoes character, therefore no racism.

She's portrayed as black with the characteristics she would have had when the cartoons were made, but she's not shown in a bad light in any way, so I fail to see any racism there.

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 01:19 ----------

Here's Whoopi Goldberg supporting the inclusion of Mammy Two Shoes in the modern releases. She's black and doesn't object.

I can't see any malice in the Tom and Jerry portrayal portrayal of the Mammy Two Shoes character, therefore no racism.

She's portrayed as black with the characteristics she would have had when the cartoons were made, but she's not shown in a bad light in any way, so I fail to see any racism there.

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 01:19 ----------

Here's Whoopi Goldberg supporting the inclusion of Mammy Two Shoes in the modern releases. She's black and doesn't object.

You could call it stereotypical but there's generally a reason why people get stereotyped in first place, whether rightly or wrongly. As for the cartoon, you can't change history although some people have tried

As far as racist goes, back in those days blacks were almost always cast as domestics or housekeepers. I don't think the people who created that cartoon were even aware that it could be construed as racist in any way

Edited by Harleyman

Can any one remember the Black and White Minstrel Show, and the Golly on the jam jar.

I thought the golly was removed because it was a racist symbol. Also the Black and White Minstrel Show was also classed as being racist. My mum use to love the music from that show.

These were both pretty straight forward hauzwell..both were pretty racist! :)

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 14:57 ----------

She's portrayed as black with the characteristics she would have had when the cartoons were made, but she's not shown in a bad light in any way, so I fail to see any racism there

I agree with you Nagel :)

Can any one remember the Black and White Minstrel Show, and the Golly on the jam jar.

I thought the golly was removed because it was a racist symbol. Also the Black and White Minstrel Show was also classed as being racist. My mum use to love the music from that show.

I was in a shop somewhere lately not in Sheffield and they were selling the Golly symbols and dolls could have been Scotland but I was suprised they still sold this symbol

That's got your attention, hasn't it.

Amazon Prime have put a health warning on the second series of Tom and Jerry stating that:

"Tom and Jerry shorts may depict some ethnic and racial prejudices that were once commonplace in American society. Such depictions were wrong then and are wrong today."

Are they right? Should we judge a 70 year old cartoon by current standards, or should we enjoy it as a very funny cartoon and an intriguing piece of social history?

health ????

---------- Post added 05-10-2014 at 02:06 ----------

Will I catch a cold? How will this affect my health?