Doh! Of the day, Banksy 'racist' mural removed by Clacton council

Many of you keep saying the context is obvious, I'm pointing out that the context isn't obvious to many and that many will take it as a racist rant, some may even repeat it as funny!

The context is obvious. That's why people keep saying so!

If you don't see the obvious context, then maybe you are the kind of person the work is aimed at?

Of course it isn't obvious if you're a bit of wood, an empty beer can, a dog or a child..or even yourself.

What is this saying about you lol! Don't you understand that not everyone will understand and see it as racist, e.g. the council etc and all the other examples given, but not half the idiot examples been given by you when shown up to be a fool!

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 12:01 ----------

Yup, that's why it was removed! Probably not removed by elitist members of SF!

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 12:03 ----------

If you don't see the obvious context, then maybe you are the kind of person the work is aimed at?

Since you added your quip...

Go back to the beginning and see my comments, but I'm not as shallow as you and can see others points of view too, hmm another word for that?

What is this saying about you lol! Don't you understand that not everyone will understand and see it as racist, e.g. the council etc and all the other examples given, but not half the idiot examples been given by you when shown up to be a fool!

Councils always fear being abused of not being PC. It was probably the very valuable Chief None PC Graffiti Removal Officer that was appointed the task!

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 12:06 ----------

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 12:03 ----------

Since you added your quip...

Go back to the beginning and see my comments, but I'm not as shallow as you and can see others points of view too, hmm another word for that?

I'm so shallow that I didn't instantly dismiss it as a piece of racist graffiti?! :rolleyes:

Don't you understand that not everyone will understand and see it as racist

Some people thought Alf Garnet was an objectionable racist character rather that a satirical criticism of people with those views. Should we let what's acceptable in our society be governed by those with the least capability of understanding?

I don't have to, I used to own land in Jaywick Sands many years ago. Getting back to your observations though, you'd have thought such a deprived area run by the Conservatives, in fact run by any political party could have put 400k to good use instead of flushing it.

Best reply I've had to any post on here in yonks!

As you say, there are quite a few issues that 400K could help to resolve in that area, regardless of who runs the council. And I didn't even mention sea defences (which are quite important for Jaywick).

Edited by Stoatwobbler

Councils always fear being abused of not being PC. It was probably the very valuable Chief None PC Graffiti Removal Officer that was appointed the task!

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 12:06 ----------

I'm so shallow that I didn't instantly dismiss it as a piece of racist graffiti?! :rolleyes:

Go back and reread it.

Have I simply dismissed it as a piece of racist graffiti? Where? You're out of context lol!

Some people thought Alf Garnet was an objectionable racist character rather that a satirical criticism of people with those views. Should we let what's acceptable in our society be governed by those with the least capability of understanding?

But a child would never understand the satire of AG..therefore Lines's argument is "some won't understand". Which is probably relevant as he most likely doesn't understand that either.

That was in a clear context of being billed as a comedy with lots of canned laughter. He may have even said this very line too!

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 12:15 ----------

But a child would never understand the satire of AG..therefore Lines's argument is "some won't understand". Which is probably relevant as he most likely doesn't understand that either.

Make your point but no need to be childish. I obviously understand more about artistic crit than thee!

Is everyone? Especially by someone who's instantly offended by being told to "go back to Africa", this is graffiti after all!

Better sir?

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 10:31 ----------

So, you have someone who knows nothing about Banksy. They arrive at this toilet wall(?) and just see the picture with a sign saying "go back to Africa". Is their first thought going to be "oh that's satire" or are they going to simply read it like all the other crass racist scrawl?

It wasn't who painted it that made it satire... I'll come back again to saying "do you actually know what satire is?" Which I think you answered before by asking "Is everybody?"

the use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

Whether or not everybody is aware of what satire is doesn't actually answer the question as to whether you are...

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 12:24 ----------

How is it "clearly" satirical? Its on a toilet wall not in a newspaper next to an article about immigration or on a comedy show, etc...

Because it depicts a bunch of pigeons holding up a placard. :huh:

Make your point but no need to be childish. I obviously understand more about artistic crit than thee!

What? With the following?

That was in a clear context of being billed as a comedy with lots of canned laughter. He may have even said this very line too!

No it wasn't clear..for the divs..they actually condoned his bigotry not understanding the satirical content by actually believing his behaviour as right rather than considered it morally wrong or offensive.

I obviously understand more about artistic crit than thee!

I see we have a right Melvyn Bragg in our midst.