Being asked to provide evidence of eligibility to vote?

I've just recently registered myself and my Husband for postal voting as we can't always get to the polling stations.

We both got a letter asking for basic info & signatures and we both totally forgot to send them back. :rolleyes:

A few weeks later he got a letter saying he had been automatically enrolled for postal voting and he didn't need to do anything else.

At the same time I got a letter asking me to send evidence (birth certificate, passport etc) to prove that I'm eligible to vote in the UK.

I'm a british citizen with full passport etc, so I'm not sure why I'm being asked for this? It doesn't give any explanation in the letter so just wondered if it was a random selection of people?

Anyone else had this?

Yes I got one, I phoned and asked about it and was told that they are obliged to check against other records and it could be as trivial as a missing middle initial or a mispellling on one of them, any mismatch will trigger them asking for proof of identity.

I told them I didn't like the idea of sending primary identification documents in a business reply envelope rather than by registered post, they said photocopies would do, so I sent them those.

If that turns out to be insufficient I should find out soon enough.

is it really all that hard to walk 500 meters to the nearest polling station. I think postal voters should have to come up with a pretty good reason as to why they want to vote postally in the first place, with 'I'm a lazy git' not being good enough. It's far too easy to vote fraudulently by post.

is it really all that hard to walk 500 meters to the nearest polling station. I think postal voters should have to come up with a pretty good reason as to why they want to vote postally in the first place, with 'I'm a lazy git' not being good enough. It's far too easy to vote fraudulently by post.

I assure you I'm anything but lazy! Last voting day I was visiting my Grandad in hospital and the one before that I think I was away with work...so having the option to sit down and vote in my spare time would make life much easier. :)

I've just recently registered myself and my Husband for postal voting as we can't always get to the polling stations.

We both got a letter asking for basic info & signatures and we both totally forgot to send them back. :rolleyes:

A few weeks later he got a letter saying he had been automatically enrolled for postal voting and he didn't need to do anything else.

At the same time I got a letter asking me to send evidence (birth certificate, passport etc) to prove that I'm eligible to vote in the UK.

I'm a british citizen with full passport etc, so I'm not sure why I'm being asked for this? It doesn't give any explanation in the letter so just wondered if it was a random selection of people?

Anyone else had this?

You can have my voting slip if you want ... I've got better things to do than pander to a bunch of morally corrupt sociopathic half-wits, playing their little game of sheeple, purely for their own self-aggrandisement ... local or otherwise. It's bin fodder otherwise. :)

I wasn't registering for a postal vote, I always go and vote in person, and I always take identification in case they ask for it, to date no one has, maybe that's about to change.

they would be stupid if they allowed voters who actually bother to turn up in polling stations to vote, using the polling card only which is only a flimsy thing they could have got from anywhere. Voters must have supporting ID to vote. A polling card, a bag of shopping, and even 2 kids as well is not enough. How do they know it's you.

Edited by blake