£300 per day not enough to live on

This is the article from the DM.

The 2013-2014 session sat for a total of 149 days, with a average of 6hrs 47 min per day. If you were to attend every session this would net you £44,700 so her £20,850 for six months indicates a pretty high attendance.

To put it in perspective someone working full time with the basic holiday entitlement would work 232 days a year, some 83 days more than a peer attending full time at the house of Lords. Personally I think £44,700 is a pretty crap wage for London and would need topping up with a second job.

jb

Is that gross or nett? I suppose,being "expenses" it won't be taxable..

Sorry, but this is rather useless as an OP isn't it? 300£ a day if you go one day a week is indeed cutting it rather finely, especially if you need to include travel and accommodation in London.

They should move the parliaments to a more central place in the country and make Westminster and all the offices around it into musea/commercial offices. Would instantly safe them millions a year in travelling expenses and claims on property in London.

I propose Sheffield.

Out of that £300 - which you only get for the days that you attend a full sitting it's not every day you have to fund

travel expense

hotel or other overnight

meals

office - including paying any staff

Plus running your house back home if you have one. TBH £300 is probably the bare minimum you could pay them.

Yes I'm thinking travelling from Northern Ireland to London and spening a night in a London hotel with meals wouldn't give much change out of a grand.

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 12:33 ----------

Sorry, but this is rather useless as an OP isn't it? 300£ a day if you go one day a week is indeed cutting it rather finely, especially if you need to include travel and accommodation in London.

They should move the parliaments to a more central place in the country and make Westminster and all the offices around it into musea/commercial offices. Would instantly safe them millions a year in travelling expenses and claims on property in London.

I propose Sheffield.

I'd propose internet conferencing. I suspect it will happen over the next few yesrs.

Even travelling round the country every day, eating out every day and smoking 100 fags a day wouldn't cost £300 a day!

I honestly don't know what you would need to be doing to spend £300 a day?!

A decent meal and a bottle of fine wine will have a bill of £200+. Not everyone eats tesco value brand

Does this mean that you agree with the statement?

And to the OP, where is this being reported, link please.

Baroness Olly Grender , senior Lib Dem peer statement reported. On page 2 of the Daily Mirror. Brace yourselves men for Labour rag ,Red top rubbish, etc.

Even travelling round the country every day, eating out every day and smoking 100 fags a day wouldn't cost £300 a day!

I honestly don't know what you would need to be doing to spend £300 a day?!

Take a last minute rush hour train to London and back from Sheffield and you'll have spent most of that £300 immediately.

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 13:37 ----------

Baroness Olly Grender , senior Lib Dem peer statement reported. On page 2 of the Daily Mirror. Brace yourselves men for Labour rag ,Red top rubbish, etc.

Is it reported in a reputable news outlet?

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 13:38 ----------

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=MP+says+300+a+day&oq=MP+says+300+a+day&aqs=chrome..69i57.5191j0j9&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#safe=off&q=MP+says+%C2%A3300+a+day+not+enough

Sheffield Forum is now the first link that comes up, the DM is about fourth (and the others are all not about this topic).