University Arms

DnAuK

I'm going to watch closely on what happens to the University Arms application for ACV . My impression is the university are going to do a trade off here with the new planned pub so I image the first thing they will say is yes we closing this pub but we have replaced it with a new pub , second the building is not listed ( listing status can be overturned in any case) so the demolition application can only be reject if it causes issues during the demolition itself. From my experience the planning law often favours the developers not what Joe public thinks .

Is there anything that Joe public could do to support CAMRA's application? Letters of support etc, that sort of thing?

I don't want to be the voice of doom but from my experience it comes down to money . Does the University Arms make enough money to keep going in the long run even if the pub gets ACV it simply means the pub requires planning application for change of use also gives the community the right to buy it . But their are ways to get round this so if the pub closed can anyone afford to buy it from the university? Or go for the easy way close it and allow the building to fall derelict making it easier for a demolition application. By all means have a go write to the council or the university itself and support CAMRAs application for AVC but money talks.

Edited by crookedspire

I don't want to be the voice of doom but from my experience it comes down to money . Does the University Arms make enough money to keep going in the long run even if the pub gets ACV it simply means the pub requires planning application for change of use also gives the community the right to buy it . But their are ways to get round this so the pub closed can anyone afford to buy it from the university? Or go for the easy way close it and allow the building to fall derelict making it easier for a demolition application. By all means have a go write to the council or the university itself and support CAMRAs application for AVC but money talks.

no it doesn't. too much negative energy there crookedspirite..we know how things can work

have faith in CAMRA .. they'll sort this one out at University Arms like some of the others before,if they get public opinion behind em.

no it doesn't. too much negative energy there crookedspirite..we know how things can work

have faith in CAMRA .. they'll sort this one out at University Arms like some of the others before,if they get public opinion behind em.

Chesterfield pubs the Somerset House at Calow and the Crispin at Ashgate are two interesting cases were big business had their way . People did protest about Tesco wanting to turn both pubs into mini supermarkets and to a point they were successful but Enterprise and Tesco did a back door deal so both pubs still got closed. Tesco then had their financial crisis so plans to turn both pubs into shops was put on hold now both buildings now stand derelict the only winner here was Enterprise who made money out of it. Let's hope CAMRA can do something .

Edited by nikki-red

The University gets what the University wants and that pub stands in the way of there proposed plans. This will only end one way, a flattened pub. In my opinion they have got bigger than the council and now pull all the strings with regards to planning.

Is there anything that Joe public could do to support CAMRA's application? Letters of support etc, that sort of thing?

Write to your local MP mate. They will then write to the Minister in charge of that policy. Keeps me in a job! :)

• 4 weeks later...
Apparently the application for the pub to be made an Asset of Community Value has been refused, part of the University's objection was that it is mainly just a student pub.

Well, a lot of university staff that I know would certainly take issue with that!

Have been after work the last two fridays and it's been absolutely rammed. It will be a sad loss if it goes.