University Arms

DnAuK

I'd suggest that people read the University's masterplan before leaping to conclusions:

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/campusmasterplan

There are three proposals relating to the area around the University Arms. Only one of them, based on the most extreme projection of future student numbers, involves knocking the pub down. All of the proposals involve creating a significant new public space where there is currently little but shacks and temporary buildings.

Is the Univeristy Arms really historic? I drink in there quite a lot and to me it's a decent real ale pub, nothing more. I like the idea of a real ale pub close to the heart of the campus but it doesn't seem worth getting into an uproar about.

As for the Henderson's Relish building - it can be seen still standing on the future plans for extensive improvements around Upper Hanover Street and Leavygreave Road. The suggestion seems to be simply removing the ramshackle 'lean-to' section on the side of the building, "to increase pavement width and improve pedestrian flow" while leaving he main structure intact.

Now, I would agree that this building qualifies as historic, or perhaps iconic, but I don't think that modifying it slightly is a big deal and let's face it: the lean-to itself is pretty ugly.

....three proposals relating to the area around the University Arms....one of them, based on the most extreme projection of future student numbers, involves knocking the pub down.

Rather than 'jumping to conclusions' people are concerned that the university seems to be keen to demolish all old buildings (regardless of quality or heritage value) and put up shiny steel and glass ones (regardless of quality). As you've pointed out, demolishing the University Arms is a serious option put on the table by the university. No-one else was thinking that was a great idea. What do the Uni Architecture Dept think to these plans I wonder.

Sheffield has lost a lot of its old buildings that we should have kept. There needs to be a very solid case for knocking down buildings like this.

Rather than 'jumping to conclusions' people are concerned that the university seems to be keen to demolish all old buildings (regardless of quality or heritage value) and put up shiny steel and glass ones (regardless of quality). As you've pointed out, demolishing the University Arms is a serious option put on the table by the university. No-one else was thinking that was a great idea. What do the Uni Architecture Dept think to these plans I wonder.

Sheffield has lost a lot of its old buildings that we should have kept. There needs to be a very solid case for knocking down buildings like this.

Which 'shiny steel and glass buildings' that the uni has recently constructed (or plans to construct) lack quality? In fact, many are award-winning and influential.

I agree that heritage is important, however for example the Hendos building is falling down and quite unusable. A new building which somehow maintains recognition of Hendos would be great. The "Henderson's Building" which serves a uni purpose and has a cafe with some kind of mural on the side would be fantastic.

Uni Arms - that's just one potential (and most extreme) plan for development which is potentially decades away. I like the University Arms and hope it's preserved, because it's a building (and garden) in fine nick, and serves a need and contributes to the local area.

Preservation just for the sake of preservation isn't necessary IMO. Preserve historic practises and buildings which continue to provide benefit, but very rundown and unusable and unsuitable buildings like the old Jessop Hospital and the old Henderson's should be knocked down.

The Uni(s) get a rough time about it, but look around and there are numerous historic buildings which they maintain and preserve. It's not all bulldozers and shiny glass and steel.

Edited by mogwai84

Which 'shiny steel and glass buildings' that the uni has recently constructed (or plans to construct) lack quality? In fact, many are award-winning and influential.

Preservation just for the sake of preservation isn't necessary IMO. Preserve historic practises and buildings which continue to provide benefit, but very rundown and unusable and unsuitable buildings like the old Jessop Hospital and the old Henderson's should be knocked down.

The Uni(s) get's a rough time about it, but look around and there are numerous historic buildings which they maintain and preserve. It's not all bulldozers and shiny glass and steel.

I like most of what the university builds and maintains (and their new plans mostly look pretty good) but some people don't agree and it's OK to air that view. It's subjective whether a building is good or bad, even if it wins awards (now or in the future) or if it doesn't.

Just because the university has a loud voice it doesn't mean it's right on every issue. Not every building they put up is good (or bad). There should be a discussion about what they propose to build - and that is what is happening here. If people don't speak out then the Uni could build whatever they want and say that nobody was that bothered about the Uni Arms (or Henderson's or Sainsburys/HSBC/Midland or any other building or green space) It's all part of the bargaining process.

I like most of what the university builds and maintains (and their new plans mostly look pretty good) but some people don't agree and it's OK to air that view. It's subjective whether a building is good or bad, even if it wins awards (now or in the future) or if it doesn't.

Just because the university has a loud voice it doesn't mean it's right on every issue. Not every building they put up is good (or bad). There should be a discussion about what they propose to build - and that is what is happening here. If people don't speak out then the Uni could build whatever they want and say that nobody was that bothered about the Uni Arms (or Henderson's or Sainsburys/HSBC/Midland or any other building or green space) It's all part of the bargaining process.

I don't disagree with that.

My post was in response to you saying:

"the university seems to be keen to demolish all old buildings".

"Sheffield has lost a lot of its old buildings that we should have kept."

Both unis have preserved buildings where possible. One reason is the simple economic fact that often it's cheaper to preserve than rebuild. So I'll dispute your first point, mainly because it's a fact that they've preserved buildings and have no plans to knock them down.

The second point, that's your opinion and others (like mine) will differ.

I appreciate that the Jessops hospital (for example) has sentimental value, and was a nice and historic building and a good example of Edwardian and Victorian architecture of that time. However it was completely unusable, and part of the hospital has been preserved as the Music department - isn't that a sensible compromise?

Likewise, the Henderson's building has sentimental value and is a nice redbrick industrial building (in a quirky way!). However, it is also pretty unusable and from the looks of it would need a total demolition and rebuild to make it good. Maintaining some aspects of the building and it's heritage would be great where possible, and I hope the uni (as they have elsewhere) look for a sensible compromise.

I don't want them to knock down the Uni Arms (for the reasons I mentioned earlier). Sainsbury's and the CiCs building and car-park are ripe for redevelopment, but the Uni Arms could be an interesting, useful and contrasting building - almost an oasis among the more modern surroundings.

The link won't open for some reason - just getting the whirring donut of doom... but I'm guessing is true then? Bugger.

Do 'Save Link As' or 'Save Target As'

It's a large pdf file which will take a couple of minutes to download.

It is all a great shame but I think the answer to corporate closure of pubs lies with the micro pubs.

Last night we ventured into a mediocre pub selling mediocre beer from the national brands. It wasn't exactly heaving for a Friday night. Tonight we are heading for the Beer Parlour in Chezzy. I expect the beer to be far cheaper, far better and as a result the place more crowded.

It is all a great shame but I think the answer to corporate closure of pubs lies with the micro pubs.

Last night we ventured into a mediocre pub selling mediocre beer from the national brands. It wasn't exactly heaving for a Friday night. Tonight we are heading for the Beer Parlour in Chezzy. I expect the beer to be far cheaper, far better and as a result the place more crowded.

Also worth noting that the Beer Parlour is small, almost certainly smaller then the mediocre pub you mentioned, and before it moved around the corner to new premises the Beer Parlour was even tinier!