Cyclist should pay Road Tax

So you don't think that most motorists would like to be fit? Or you think they already are?

Could be a bit of both. I don't cycle but I've got nothing against cyclists. Just not my thing and regardless of fitness, I wouldn't want to peddle up Sheffield's major hills!

There are plenty of other ways of keeping fit anyway, not cycling doesn't mean someone isn't fit.

---------- Post added 05-10-2014 at 21:22 ----------

Wouldnt say a minority Cyclone. Its worse than that. In both cases.

Too many of both, but tarring everyone with the same brush doesn't help.

There are plenty of other ways of keeping fit anyway, not cycling doesn't mean someone isn't fit.

---------- Post added 05-10-2014 at 21:22 ----------

Too many of both, but tarring everyone with the same brush doesn't help.

Minority/too many of both??? In my mind, and im no expert, but the amount of people cycling/driving has increased since we were younger (no offence meant) but the sheer amount of both does push the probability of danger AND the amount of sillyness up four-fold. This increase is a problem, and whilst I feel every inch of empathy for cyclists, the sheer bloddy mindedness of both parties is clear, even with just the amount of discussion on this forum. Thirty years ago, we may not have noticed a cyclist bobbing through a red light or up a pavement, likewise road rage from a motorist, but today it is widespread, and talking about it and tarring groups does help, if it raises awareness of a problem that is not one sided.

---------- Post added 05-10-2014 at 21:48 ----------

The final word http://ipayroadtax.com/

Vehicle Excise Duty is a pollution tax. It doesn't pay for road maintenance; that is paid for through general taxation, so if you pay income tax or corporation tax or inheritance tax or capital gains tax you pay for road maintenance, regardless of what you do on roads. And that's it.

That will only help when all cars are VED free Bob, as a lot of people have to pay a lot of tax on their cars to use them on public roads.

That will only help when all cars are VED free Bob, as a lot of people have to pay a lot of tax on their cars to use them on public roads.

But it does answer the question of why cyclists shouldn't pay 'road tax'.

But it does answer the question of why cyclists shouldn't pay 'road tax'.

Very true Bonzo. That is why it should be abolished, and as cars get more modern, this should happen. However, until that days comes, many many VED payers will feel disgruntled about one rule for one etc.

Minority/too many of both??? In my mind, and im no expert, but the amount of people cycling/driving has increased since we were younger (no offence meant) but the sheer amount of both does push the probability of danger AND the amount of sillyness up four-fold. This increase is a problem, and whilst I feel every inch of empathy for cyclists, the sheer bloddy mindedness of both parties is clear, even with just the amount of discussion on this forum. Thirty years ago, we may not have noticed a cyclist bobbing through a red light or up a pavement, likewise road rage from a motorist, but today it is widespread, and talking about it and tarring groups does help, if it raises awareness of a problem that is not one sided.

---------- Post added 05-10-2014 at 21:48 ----------

It will only help the idiots that think I pay VED VED pays for the roads, so im more entitled to use the road than someone who doesn't pay any.

Very true Bonzo. That is why it should be abolished, and as cars get more modern, this should happen. However, until that days comes, many many VED payers will feel disgruntled about one rule for one etc.

It's not one rule for one, it's the same rule for everyone:

The lower the emissions, the less you pay.

The higher the emissions, the more you pay.