Insurance and no claims bonus for new car

I am in the process of selling my car, which has 4 months left on the insurance policy and I will then cancel the remaining insurance (hoping for a refund, but not really expecting anything)

I purchased a new car 2 weeks ago and arranged insurance for it, using my current no claims bonus. My new insurer have asked for evidence of my NCB, which is fine as I can use the renewal from February - BUT they want something that is no older than 14 days (presume they think I am renewing a policy, not taking out a brand new one ?)

Do I just need to call my existing policy provider and request confirmation of my NCB ? I'm a bit confused :confused:

Happened to me if you are lucky the two firms will talk to each other if not the existing insurer may send the required proof directly to the new insurer worst case scenario should be you request proof of NCB from existing insurer who sends you a letter/email which you then have to forward to new insurer.

As others have said you cannot usually use the NCD on two cars like tht.

Ideally you want to see what it will cost to move the current policy to the new car. However if the new policy is a lot cheaper, then take the hit on cancelling the current policy and then send the proof of NCD etc to the new insurers - you can ask your current insurers for confirmation of NCD and they will usually post it to you or your new isnurers direct.

you are all right, you cannot use your NCB on multiple policies - I genuinely did not know this.

Anyway everything has worked out OK as I managed to sell my old car on Sunday, so cancelled my previous insurance today - new provider is OK that I've only had 2 weeks of 'discounted' insurance. Just need to forward my cancellation notice now that confirms my NCB :)

With hindsight I think it would have been much simpler to trade in my old car - never done it before, so it didn't occur to me ;/

Good news is that I got an £85 refund on old policy (after paying the £30 cancellation fee !!)

Thanks for everyone's advice & input