When things change, it's rubbish!

Fidgety

I don't know how anyone else feels but when I moved back to Sheffield and found that many places I knew had changed - a lot - I just felt gutted.

It was rubbish!

I know, I know, things change, it's progress blah, blah, blah.

But I didn't like it. If I found an area that was the same it was so comforting. Strawberry avenue for instance.

I was parked up looking down Black Hill toward where the steel houses used to be and it all looked so different. Not just the fact that the steel houses had gone, but the field down to the brook wasn't a field anymore - it was full of trees! Who put them beggars there. And it all looked smaller, not like the mass of open space I remembered it as.

Anyway, it should have been the same. That's all I'm saying!

I know exactly what you mean...... for instance when we went to look round the Oval on the Brushes estate in Firth Park where I spent my childhood, all the roads look narrower & the houses smaller then I remembered but I think the trees having grown at a tremendous rate had some thing to do with it !!

It just goes to prove that you can't go back & expect everything to be the same ......

It just goes to show how your memory plays tricks on you,every time I have revisited my childhood haunts they always seem smaller and quite different to what I remember!.Every thing moves on and don,t forget your perpective with it,you didn,t think or worry about things when a nipper as you do as an adult!.All that mattered back then was how to spend as much time playing and messing about,dodging schoolwork and chores,obtaining cash one way or another for spice, fish and chips,Tizer,going to the various picture houses and later on birds(female variety)!.It is rubbish when things change but that's life,nothing stays the same,as I get older I reminisce back to the good times quite a lot and think where did they go,but I definitely gave the ball a kick so I have no regrets,so far so good!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I was away from Sheffield for a few years when I was in the army and when I came back I didn't recognize the place.it had changed so much in ten years.I must admit that Sheffield seems a lot cleaner and tidier than it used to be,things change a lot but if you live here you don't realize until you go away and come back after a few years same with any city,just go on to picture Sheffield to see how much Sheffield has changed.

I left Sheffield in the early 90s and return rarely. From photos, much of the Sheffield I remember has vanished and, in places, has been replaced by the hideous signature farts of egocentric architects, and cheap-looking ugly boxes sprouting like fungi on the edges of the city centre.

On the other hand, of course, nostalgia lies: in the Sheffield of my youth parks had been neglected; the hole-in-the-road was dilapidated and in the process of being replaced by the shiny new Supertram network; and while I had a fondness for them, Hyde Park, Park Hill and the new town hall building never inspired much affection in general.

Sheffield has some lovely new and refurbished buildings and spaces: the new Crucible, the Peace Gardens and some of the surrounding structures; Weston and Norfolk Parks have been renovated; Park Hill isn't looking bad at all, and the new access to the Cholera grounds from Shrewsbury Road is a welcome replacement for the tower blocks.

Sheffield's changed, inevitably, in the twenty-odd years since I lived there. It's not all bad. At least no one's yet attempted to demolish the town hall and replace it with a silver cube.

The past was never like we remember it, everything we look at now is illusory, our own individual image in a continual series of snapshots which is different to the next person's and depends on our emotional viewpoint at the time.

What a load of ******!

I have no illusions of the past.

They were the days when the hill behind Owlerton stadium was a playground of fun and adventure....grass slides on cardboard boxes...train spotting.

That is until someone decided it was a good idea to use it for "land fill".

The days when Rivelin valley had numerous fishing lakes....until they were allowed to decay into the sorrowful state they now are.

The days when Hillsborough park pond was a boating lake ....

Change happens, but don't tell me I imagined it all.

It's changed but not for the better!

.... the days when the hill behind Owlerton stadium was a playground of fun and adventure....grass slides on cardboard boxes...train spotting...
Yes indeed, we often used to play "down t' medders" in that area - though it's fair to say that youngsters don't seem to want to play outdoors as much as we did years ago. What the OP wrote about a former field that is "..full of trees! Who put them beggars there" reminded me of the flat area in the "medders" below Penrith Road - we used to play football there but now it's a forest of 30+ year-old trees. In this case the trees weren't planted, they just grew. Without the daily wear and tear of football games and constant use by walkers etc., trees will take over.
...The days when Rivelin valley had numerous fishing lakes....until they were allowed to decay into the sorrowful state they now are.
Yes - in fact most of the old millponds have gone back to the state they were in 50 years ago. It was in 1966 that the council decided to clear the silted-up ponds to accommodate fish (it was actually done with traction engines and a bucket on a long "endless" chain that was dragged to and fro) and so for many years the ponds were alive with fish. But then the inevitable happened and they silted up again. The valley also filled with trees - nowadays nobody can see this view, for example, for the trees.

Time takes its toll and we look back with nostalgia. We may regret the changes that take place just as our forefathers did (100 years ago my then-teenage grandfather would go fishing in Rivelin Valley when all the millponds looked like this) and no doubt our grandchildren will in future miss some aspects of today's life that will surely disappear. Not all changes are for the worse, but things inevitably change.

yes I remember things that changed Ileft in 1974 to come to Canada I was back in 2010 did not reconize the place it is aot cleaner now but very little steel industry left Idid visit Steel peach tozer it is now amuseum Idid work there back in the 60s when I left sheffield I Worked at Temperd springs warren street and is not there now Iknow that I made the right move when Icame over here