When things change, it's rubbish!

Fidgety

yes I remember things that changed Ileft in 1974 to come to Canada I was back in 2010 did not reconize the place it is aot cleaner now but very little steel industry left Idid visit Steel peach tozer it is now amuseum Idid work there back in the 60s when I left sheffield I Worked at Temperd springs warren street and is not there now Iknow that I made the right move when Icame over here

hiya, this happens every few years, i have lost count the number of makeovers I have seen since 1946, we have very little steelworks, although I heard a few years ago steel making today is more productive than in the 40s and 50s, and take pubs when I was 20 in 1958 there were 22 pubs within a quarter of an hours walk of our house, when we went to the lane we would walk it, the droves of supporters travelling down Fitzwilliam st and Thomas st had to be seen. I went past the lane at 2'30 one Saturday when united were playing and there were more police ouside than fans, mind i remember being in the crowd in 1960 united v wednesday fa cup, 62,000, not bad for a three sided ground.

Edited by willybite

What a load of ******!

I have no illusions of the past.

They were the days when the hill behind Owlerton stadium was a playground of fun and adventure....grass slides on cardboard boxes...train spotting.

That is until someone decided it was a good idea to use it for "land fill".

The days when Rivelin valley had numerous fishing lakes....until they were allowed to decay into the sorrowful state they now are.

The days when Hillsborough park pond was a boating lake ....

Change happens, but don't tell me I imagined it all.

It's changed but not for the better!

My childhood playtime was a happy and carefree one, but I remember it as always being sunny summer weather, but I know it wasn't always sunny. My memory is cherry picking the past, it's not a true reflection.

My childhood playtime was a happy and carefree one, but I remember it as always being sunny summer weather, but I know it wasn't always sunny. My memory is cherry picking the past, it's not a true reflection.

I'm not sure what your point is??

I too have the same happy memories of hot summer days. Buying and enjoying a "Jubilee" from the local shop, etc.

I also have memories of using my trolley (remember the ones we made from old pram wheels) to fetch a gallon of paraffin because the paraffin heater was out of fuel in the winter.

Happy memories of returning home cold and wet after hours out playing with a sledge on a snowy day.

The sun definitely didn't always shine, but I have perfect recollections.

Hillsbro.....thanks for the memories.

I too recall seeing the old mans face.

Wasn't it just beyond the "Rivelin Hotel" as you walked back towards Roscoe Bank.

My great grandfather lived in one of the cottages in your second link of the millpond.

Come on you lot! get a grip !!

I become an official old fogey in March, times change, no era is ever going to be the same fifty odd years on. Back in the 50's, folks of a certain age were looking back to Victorian times (scary isn't it) and probably rumbling on about similar things. A few years before that, Mr Dickens mused, "..it was the best if times, it was the worst of times" and in a few years time my grandkids will be saying the same things, so in essence, nothing changes. :)

Hi handypandy - welcome to the Old Fogeys' Club! I joined it last year (if it's determined by when you get your state pension) and I've never been fogier. But I don't care (at 66 I think I'm allowed not to care) and times may change but as you say nothing changes in essence. As I wrote "our grandchildren will in future miss some aspects of today's life that will surely disappear" but people don't change even if their surroundings do. Forummers (often expats who see news reports) sometimes write "it isn't the Sheffield I knew", almost as if they expected the city to be the same as when they left it 30 or 40 years ago. Times changes, and despite being an old fogey I've moved with them (says he, sitting at a state-of-the-art PC with his smartphone and tablet near to hand)..:)