British Bill of Rights - what do you want in it

EU politicians create the laws that judges then use to tell parliament what they can and cannot do.
They be the MEPs directly elected by the European people. Yes, that includes British voters.

Although, and of course, if you voted UKIP, you've only got yourself to blame for the dearth of law proposals and session attendance stats :hihi:

Judges do not "tell parliament what they can and cannot do", they rule (apply & interpret the relevant legal provisions) to a set of facts and circumstances that change with every case brought to them. Well, in 0.05% of the cases brought to them, according to tzijlstra's maths/source.

EU Judges are functionally, ethically and (a-)politically no different to Judges and Lords ruling on the basis of UK (and where applicable/relevant, EU-) law in UK Courts.

Edited by L00b

You said you hadn't studied what cases they judge or what the outcomes were.

That's right.

Have you somehow picked up this information by osmosis?

No

We weren't talking about voting for a party, there are many different factors to consider in that case. We were talking about voting for lower taxes.

Do you honestly think (no, of course you don't) that people would vote for higher taxes if that were the question.

There are millions of people that will vote for taxes on other people to be raised.

Do you believe that the public, all of it, are always well enough informed about every issue to make a judgement about what decision is best?

No

And that even if they are so informed, they would decide on the basis of best for the country, and not best for themselves?

Define best for the country, do you mean best for the majority of the population?

Or do you somehow believe that "best for the country" never conflicts with best for any group of individuals?

Define best for the country, most people tend to vote for what they think is best for themselves.

Once in power, they don't have to inform anyone and nobody gets to vote again until 5 years later.
That's right

You do realise that the European court of human rights has existed for a lot longer than the HRA?

Yes

It couldn't possibly be more wrong than to retain the DNA samples of those who have never even been charged with a crime.

But perhaps if we disagree this is why you aren't interested in basic human rights being upheld, and I am.

I can't understand why anyone would be opposed to their DNA being held by the authorities, what do you think they are going to do with it, replace you with a clone?

They be the MEPs directly elected by the European people. Yes, that includes British voters.

I prefer the idea of just voting for British MPs and letting them get on with running the UK, I'm happy for German/French ect. MPs to run their respective countries how they see fit and I'm happy for UK and German/French Mp's to talk to each other and come to agreements over issues that concern everyone, But I don't want British Mp's being overruled by German/French Mp's.

I can't understand why anyone would be opposed to their DNA being held by the authorities, what do you think they are going to do with it, replace you with a clone?

It has not been unknown for the police to plant evidence in order to 'fit someone up' for a crime they did not commit.

I worked in a job which brought me into constant contact with the police for over 33 years.

A number of them have admitted to me that they have known it happen and not infrequently.

So the answer to your question is plant it. :)