British Bill of Rights - what do you want in it

The problem with that is that the ECHR and Human Rights Act is designed to protect the citizen from parliament.

If parliament can decide, without external reference, what human rights you have it can also decide what human rights you dont have.

Over the last few years we've seen a number of authortarian measures from both the conservative and labour governments, from the various snoopers charters, to imprisonment without trial. What stopped and limited these was the ECHR and human rights. It's all very well saying these will only apply to muslims but it's clear from the way several councils used the ripa legislation to spy on families that the scope will very quietly creep to everyone.

---------- Post added 05-10-2014 at 10:02 ----------

but what about the right of the offenders family to a life? are they to be punished too?

when anyone commits rape and are found guilty by a court then they are imprisioned. once the sentence has been served the prisoner is released and apart from any necessary monitoring they are free to resume their lives.

Re my bold.

A very good point well made. However, you may be casting your pearls before swine.

I think he's made his mind up and seemingly refuses to be confused by the facts.

Yes.

You may be going in the wrong direction.

The proposers are not seeking to deport UK citizens.

They simply want to deport visitors and illegal immigrants that have committed serious crimes.

They also want the 'rights' of such offenders to take second place to the 'rights' of the victim.

When an illegal immigrant commits rape, the right of the victim to justice should supercede the 'right to family life' of the offender.

Although that is the basic premise, what about the debate of British nationals going to Syria/Iraq to fight for Isis. The tories keep bleating about seeking to revoke their passports etc. These are British born people? Should this be a decision made by politicians?

I really don't know, but I don't like the opportunity of it becoming a political plaything, human rights should be set in stone and untouchable, this whole proposal seeks to change that because it doesn't suit the government's agenda.

Although that is the basic premise, what about the debate of British nationals going to Syria/Iraq to fight for Isis. The tories keep bleating about seeking to revoke their passports etc. These are British born people? Should this be a decision made by politicians?

I agree that that is a load of tosh and can never happen.

Tell a UK Citizen that he cannot return to the UK?

It simply opens the gates for Nigeria etc. to choose not to allow the return of theirs.

It won't happen.

I really don't know, but I don't like the opportunity of it becoming a political plaything, human rights should be set in stone and untouchable, this whole proposal seeks to change that because it doesn't suit the government's agenda.

Theresa May as already revoked the passports of several British born citizens that have links to militant or terrorist groups.

Theresa May as already revoked the passports of several British born citizens that have links to militant or terrorist groups.

And she will be challenged in the ECHR and fall flat on her face, as she should. Would she if there was solely a British bor?

I'm not so sure that she has, but she certainly has threatened to seize passports to stop potential terrorists leaving the UK.

Which is perfectly acceptable.

And she will be challenged in the ECHR and fall flat on her face, as she should. Would she if there was solely a British bor?

And that is why it needs scrapping.

---------- Post added 05-10-2014 at 19:25 ----------

I'm not so sure that she has, but she certainly has threatened to seize passports to stop potential terrorists leaving the UK.

Which is perfectly acceptable.

Why would we want to stop potential terrorists from leaving the UK?

And that is why it needs scrapping.

---------- Post added 05-10-2014 at 19:25 ----------

Why would we want to stop potential terrorists from leaving the UK?

So you are fine with politicians deciding whatyour human rights are, blurring the lines between justice and government? Pretty bold at a time when we have the Westminster peadophile scandal, we are all still peed off about expenses and there are serious questions about the validity of our democracy post Scotland referendum.

So you are fine with politicians deciding whatyour human rights are, blurring the lines between justice and government?

Yes I am happy for the our elected government to do what they think is best for Britain, and if I disagree with anything they do I can vote for a different party every 5 years.