Can I let my fiancee try driving my Motability car in empty car park?

Hi People,

I've been wanting to give my fiancée the confidence to maybe learn to drive so when I'm having a bad day she can drive me. But she won't get in a car with an instructor as she doesn't have the confidence.

So I wanted to know what the laws are about letting someone drive your car in an empty car park? Would I get in trouble for letting her have a go in my Motability Auto car in an empty car park? I have a Auto licence for 4years with no points or anything.

she needs a licence,insurance and L plates with you supervising to drive in a public place.She would also need to check on permissions with the mobility.

---------- Post added 04-10-2014 at 21:14 ----------

A dual controlled car is what she needs...Proper driving lessons.

Yes, Xt500 is correct. She would need a provisional license and you would need to clear it with Motability insurance. Also it would be better to have proper lessons from a qualified driving instructor. If she hasn't got the confidence to do this then it may that she would be unable to cope with being a driver. Leave her be and let the initiative to learn to drive come from her.

Hi People,

I've been wanting to give my fiancée the confidence to maybe learn to drive so when I'm having a bad day she can drive me. But she won't get in a car with an instructor as she doesn't have the confidence.

So I wanted to know what the laws are about letting someone drive your car in an empty car park? Would I get in trouble for letting her have a go in my Motability Auto car in an empty car park? I have a Auto licence for 4years with no points or anything.

Only if the plod catch you. :)

Hi People,

Not legally, normally people attempt learning like that because of the cost, if she dosnt have the confidence to start learning with a professional then I wouldn't want her driving me anywhere.

Perhaps tell her to go for lessons and offer to go as a passenger if it helps her nerves?

You'd get into very severe trouble with both Motability and the police if you were found letting someone who is not just uninsured for the car but has no licence driving the car, even if that was somewhere safe.

What you also need to think about is what would happen if your fiancée was to lose control of the car and cause damage to it or to walls/fixtures/people. How do you explain that to Motability, who are very strict with who they allow to drive their cars at the best of times? People who have an 'all cars' insurance policy or a 'my car plus loan cars' policy can't drive Motability cars because all of these policies have a little clause which says 'may drive other cars on loan with permission from the car owner' but Motability routinely refuse that permission.

I'd advise that firstly your fiancée gets her provisional licence and passes her theory test. Those with a provisional licence CAN drive a Motability car as long as you ask for their permission first, supply them with a copy of her licence and mark the car up suitably. THEN you can drive to a car park and let her have some safe practice :)

If she is too nervous to go out with an instructor, as jomie says, there is probably no point and teaching someone who is nervous about driving is only marginally less stressful than teaching someone who is overconfident.

Really? Are you a driving instructor or just talking out of your....