Basic skills needed?

What does a child need to learn in order to be happy and successful?

With the drive towards 5 or more GCSEs; my thoughts are that most things tought in schools are of no use to people later in life.

Even in work, GCSEs are of little use in many jobs, yet some jobs require them.

What does a child need to learn in order to be happy and successful?

With the drive towards 5 or more GCSEs; my thoughts are that most things tought in schools are of no use to people later in life.

Even in work, GCSEs are of little use in many jobs, yet some jobs require them.

Which jobs/careers don't require basic skills/knowledge in Maths/English/geography/physics/history etc?

Are you proposing scrapping the education system or replacing it?

Which jobs/careers don't require basic skills/knowledge in Maths/English/geography/physics/history etc?

Basic skills, meaning the 5 GCSEs that Government are pushing these days. The Conservatives are saying that not enough people have 5 good GCSEs, but since Asda, Costa Coffee, Tesco and even some trades people seem not to need algebra and trigonometry, do they need GCSEs?

Basic skills, meaning the 5 GCSEs that Government are pushing these days. The Conservatives are saying that not enough people have 5 good GCSEs, but since Asda, Costa Coffee, Tesco and even some trades people seem not to need algebra and trigonometry, do they need GCSEs?

For some lesser skilled jobs such as the ones you mention, a good attitude, drive, and a strong willingness to learn will always top qualifications. However, working a lower skilled job isn't going to bring success unfortunately. A life of drudgery maybe, so great if that makes them happy.

For some lesser skilled jobs such as the ones you mention, a good attitude, drive, and a strong willingness to learn will always top qualifications. However, working a lower skilled job isn't going to bring success unfortunately. A life of drudgery maybe, so great if that makes them happy.

The last few times that I have applied for jobs, schoolwork from over 25 years ago seemed irrelivant.

Even jobs that some people think should require a degree, things like being a member of the police force or a social worker, common sense and fairness should be a main quality, are these things tought at school?

The last few times that I have applied for jobs, schoolwork from over 25 years ago seemed irrelivant.

Even jobs that some people think should require a degree, things like being a member of the police force or a social worker, common sense and fairness should be a main quality, are these things tought at school?

Common sense can't be taught, you either have it or you don't.

Common sense can't be taught, you either have it or you don't.

What qualities should a perspective social worker or policeman have? Can it be judged by GCSEs or A levels?

And how many jobs require knowledge to an A level standard? Richard Branson had a poor academic record at school and has no A levels.

I think things like common sense you learn from your parents and family.basic education is taught to you in school and then you go on to study for further education depending on what you want to do in your working life..the trouble is a lot of young people mess about at school and later in life they regret it..the old saying is you cant put an old head on young shoulders...if you don't study and you come away from school with little or no qualifications you will have a hard time getting a decent job you will have to settle for a mundane crappy job that pays a low wage working in a fast food shop or super market wasting your life getting nowhere, education is the key to a better life, just look at the amount of foreigners that come here desperate to get our collage education...I've advertised to set people on before in work and I have been surprised by the lack of basic education and skills of some of the applicants, I always thought everyone got a decent standard basic education nowadays...

It always helps when you have a rich barrister for a father and a mother prepared to bankroll your first ventures.

Exactly. It's good to have common sense, but how do you show a prospective employer you have it? How is it measured? There aren't many opportunities for us plebs unless we can wave a few bits of paper, and even then, there are more people with qualifications than suitable jobs (I.e. That pay a living wage).

Social work and policing is 70% office based these days - phone calls, having meetings and writing up reports. You don't have time to do the actual job, you're just managing systems and covering your back. What are the skills needed for that? Employers are looking for people who can work quickly, finish things off, account for themselves and what they've done, have good 'interpersonal skills' and don't rock the boat.