Does anyone remember the Piney Man

babsie

Re Stannington early 50's. We used to have a man who used to call selling a sort of slimey pine disinfectant, door to door,and mum used to use it in the sink and on the doorstep when she used to 'donkey'stone' the back door step!.

These threads ,make me feel really old sometimes, but they are memories that have stuck in my mind and I guess I need reassurance that there are others out there like me!.

:)

Babsie, my aunty lived on Uppergate Rd, Stannington, she had gas lights and had to take the acumulater [battery] to get charged up as they didn't have any electricity.

Both her and my Mother were born right up Uppergate at middle cottage, I think they called the area Crow Royd's.

Hi Skippy - my aunt (82) still lives at the top of Stannington in a (wooden house) and has lived there all her life, well as far as I can remember. I have another aunt who lives off Stannington Road, - she is 91, bright as a button and had lived there over 50 years!

I will always have fond memories of Stannington - it's like my spiritual home.

Don't remember the lack of electricity, only the really large brown light switches that I couldn't reach!

i think its the same one that used to deliver on the wybourn didnt he use various bottles other than bleach bottles i can remember us having to hide in my grandmothers kitchen when she owed him money for the bleach

.........happy childhood days

Babsie, they would probably have known my Aunt & Uncle, Alice & Joe Skelton

they owned a shop at one time in Stannington, but that was in the late 30's early 40's,their son [Granville] got killed crossing the road after school by the only motorised lorry in the area, hows that for luck.

I went there in 1991 to see my cousin before he passed away, I was amazed how the area had got built up & the old cottages had been demolished.

You could say that is my spiritual home too, all my ancestors on my Mothers side are buried at Underbank Chapel, & I lived with my Aunt for 2 years,1943/45 because of the chaos in the City centre, then spent every Sunday there and sometimes the whole weekend, when it snowed there, it really came down and stopped everything. I was born in Stepney Buildings, a block of flats at the bottom of Duke St, the flats survived the blitz and are still there today, I think.

There was a lad named Neil Woolhouse who lived in Owlerton and sold bleach in bottles as well as bottles of pop, he delivered all over the area and probably included Stannington.

Incidentally i had an uncle Ike and aunt who lived on Roscoe Bank Stannington

in a lovely bungalow, they died severall years ago but lived there for about 40 years

Arrodbo - thanks for that, but I am sure he was an old man - I was only about 5 or 6 at the time - lots of years ago.

I still love Stannington and Malin Bridge area.Lots of happy memories going down to Rivelin with my jam sandwich picnic!

Archived