Drivers tricked by fake 40 mph sign in Rotherham

Worth reading if you've recently had a ticket.

Drivers who were fooled into speeding after 40mph signs mysteriously appeared on a 30mph road have claimed they should not be fined for their mistakes.

Pranksters are believed to be behind the sudden arrival of four official-looking circular signs on the A630 near Rotherham, with the local council admitting it has no idea where they came from.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11138390/Drivers-tricked-by-fake-40mph-speed-limit-signs.html

It says in the article that they were actually 'official' signs...(in other words, not simply looky-likey ones or home made).

They were placed, inside of the 30mph signs, so as a driver, you would quite rightly consider them to be legit signs. It's a bit of a worrying trend if pranksters are going to do this sort of thing with any sort of regularity.

Presumably there is somewhere that has lost a pile of 40mph signs then as well...

I'd have thought any reasonable defence that you went by the signs is going to succeed - the Highway code does say you should go by what the signs indicate after all - it's nnot like you are expected to research all the TRO's for the journey in advance.

I have a car camera so id be able to prove i was going by the posted speed. I advise everyone to buy one.

I just use my phone, when and if I think about it....Which isn't every trip I have to admit....I did catch some silly sod whizzing down the hard shoulder of the motorway the other day....A mile or so further down the road, he'd been pulled by plod...There was a 40mph speed limit in process, and the traffic 'was' moving slowly, but not that slowly....He obviously had other ideas...but not for long!

This has happened before in a number of places http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1388653/Hundreds-motorists-fined-pranksters-40mph-sign-30mph-zone.html.

The cinic in me wonders if someone popped the signs up once getting caught, easy get out clause.

My, my that is cynical. But then again perfectly feasible, if you're on a totting up potential ban on your license (at least I think it's a 'pointable' offence)...It might be worth the effort involved...If you're desperate that is.

My, my that is cynical. But then again perfectly feasible, if you're on a totting up potential ban on your license (at least I think it's a 'pointable' offence)...It might be worth the effort involved...If you're desperate that is.

It's a bit obvious if the increase in drivers being caught out by the trick signs only appears a few days after you get caught though.

Perhaps, when they find the culprits, they should give them all the fines and points accrued by those caught out by the trick signs.

It's a bit obvious if the increase in drivers being caught out by the trick signs only appears a few days after you get caught though.

Perhaps, when they find the culprits, they should give them all the fines and points accrued by those caught out by the trick signs.

I'm not sure they would find the culprits...Not unless it's right under the nose of a camera of some sort. I mean I've seen loads of people on the roads fixing various signs in place...digging holes in the road...fixing traffic lights...etc...I've never given it a second thought...We all just assume they 'are' legit...Don't we?

In this particular instance, there seems to be a 4 day period when they 'think' the signs were added...I would have thought a suspect would be hard to spot given that time frame.