Honda Jazz - rattle when idle

Hi all knowledgeable car folk,

I recently discovered that my Jazz 1.4, when idling, makes a sound it shouldn't. It basically sounds like a fan that is running unbalanced and is coming from the engine bay, although I can't quite find where.

The sound stops as soon as I rev the engine even a little, although that might be because it is drowned out by the sound of the engine. I suspect it might be the cooling fan that is having trouble running stable at low speeds, would I be correct in thinking that?

Could be anything to be fair.

Is you fan run off the engine or is it electric and only kicks in when the temperature requires it to?

If it's not running then how can it be making noise?

Could be an exhaust heat shield, or something else loose.

Could be anything to be fair.

Is you fan run off the engine or is it electric and only kicks in when the temperature requires it to?

If it's not running then how can it be making noise?

Could be an exhaust heat shield, or something else loose.

Thats great advice. narrows it right down

Thats great advice. narrows it right down

It's an internet forum you moron, not a garage.

You expect people to be able to accurately describe a fault on a car that they've never seen before and based soley on one short, vague description????

:loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy:

The OP should go to a garage and have them look at it, you can get all sorts of answers asking online and you don't want to get worried it will cost a ton of money as it could turn out to be a simple fix.

Hi Geared, (ignore the troll) did some more testing yesterday when stuck in traffic. The sound stops as soon as I engage the clutch - so it truly only makes the noise when idling. I think that might narrow it down to the clutch which means I will take it in when I have some time to do so.

Hi Geared, (ignore the troll) did some more testing yesterday when stuck in traffic. The sound stops as soon as I engage the clutch - so it truly only makes the noise when idling. I think that might narrow it down to the clutch which means I will take it in when I have some time to do so.

If the noise disappears when you depress the clutch and returns when you let the pedal back up (in nuetral) it may be a noisy clutch release bearing....