Honda Jazz - rattle when idle

Pffff..... that sounds like a massive job :( is it going to harm the car if I ignore it?

Not unless the bearing gives up the ghost altogether and breaks..then you won't be able to use the clutch..if it is the bearing it might stay noisy for years without failing...obviously we haven't heard the noise so it may be better to get it diagnosed properly and take it from there...

This might help...

http://www.ehow.com/about_5456365_throwout-bearing.html

Edited by truman

Pffff..... that sounds like a massive job :( is it going to harm the car if I ignore it?

If you ignore it your car will cease to be a car in the general sense. The clutch is the mechanism which connects the engine to the drive train. And yes it could harm the car, gear box casing, flywheel etc.

Why would you? Clutches like any other part wear..cheaper to replace clutch than replace car..unless it's already a bag of rusting bolts.

400£ on a 07 car. Will have to have a think about it, might be easier/more cost beneficial to just get a newer car!

At least you'd know the clutch was OK....no such guarantee if you buy another...

Hehe that is true :) and I do live by the philosophy that the most eco-friendly car is a well cared for car that actually gets driven until its the end of its natural life.

Big problem with jazz is a lot are use by driving instructors. so clutch, engine, transmission takes a hammering. unless you know it was a old buddie that had the car from new it is a big risk to buy a honda jazz.

What do you want for your car as it is if you want to sell?

---------- Post added 07-10-2014 at 14:15 ----------

because I was showing examples of how it could be something completely different to what the OP first thought??

Looks like you was nearly right! well done for being able to diagnose

Big problem with jazz is a lot are use by driving instructors. so clutch, engine, transmission takes a hammering. unless you know it was a old buddie that had the car from new it is a big risk to buy a honda jazz.

What do you want for your car as it is if you want to sell?

I bought it with 15K on the clock, one owner, an older driver. clutch was always a bit temperamental :) I put 40K extra on in 4 years so I will have to take responsibility (I am on the M1 a lot with all the stop start traffic, which doesn't help).

I'd probably want around 3K for it, but I don't want to sell it.