How to find and use a private Dr.

As above really, I am asking for a friend who is very unhappy with the health care that he is receiving and is desperate enough to try the private route now.

Also any ideas of costs would be appreciated.

I used to pass this place on the bus most days. Not used myself.

Fees are on the site

FEES

Initial consultation (15 mins) £55.00

Standard consultation (up to 15 mins) £38.00

Extended consultation (30 mins) £70.00

Home visit £55.00

(call out charge + consultation fee)

Repeat prescription £8.00

There are loads, but why does your friend think they'll get better treatment under a private doctor?

Because they don't have massive delays, see people on time and can offer appointments.

My GP generally runs 40 to 50 mins late, and if I want an appointment that isn't urgent I have to wait 6 weeks.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

There are loads, but why does your friend think they'll get better treatment under a private doctor?

He doesn't know if he will but he would like tests that his DR wont refer him for and I suppose a second opinion, desperation :(

Because they don't have massive delays, see people on time and can offer appointments.

My GP generally runs 40 to 50 mins late, and if I want an appointment that isn't urgent I have to wait 6 weeks.

I suggest you change GPs. Mine run more or less on time and you're guaranteed an appointment within two weeks. There is also a drop in clinic where they will see everyone who turns up by 11am.

jb

I used to pass this place on the bus most days. Not used myself.

Fees are on the site

FEES

Initial consultation (15 mins) £55.00

Standard consultation (up to 15 mins) £38.00

Extended consultation (30 mins) £70.00

Home visit £55.00

(call out charge + consultation fee)

Repeat prescription £8.00

Thank you Taxman, no wonder they have a big smile on their faces :hihi: I will pass the info on.

---------- Post added 07-10-2014 at 12:54 ----------

Like mine, its impossible to get into ours if its not an emergency.

I suggest you change GPs. Mine run more or less on time and you're guaranteed an appointment within two weeks. There is also a drop in clinic where they will see everyone who turns up by 11am.

jb

I wish that were possible. The one I'm at is the one for my area so I don't get a choice. Well I do. Go private.

I wish that were possible. The one I'm at is the one for my area so I don't get a choice. Well I do. Go private.

You can register at a GP out of your area, but they are not obliged to accept you, I think this may be changing soon however.

I would suggest that you try to change change your GP as well if you're not happy with their service, as I can nearly always get an appointment on the same day. My GP also has their own therapists, so for example I don't have to wait a long time to see a physio.