Morrison's policy on electric vehicles.

I'm rather puzzled by Morrison's policy on electric cars.

They provide dedicated parking spaces for the disabled and for mother and child. They also provide several recharging points for electric vehicles, but as these places are not designated as electric vehicles only and as they are rather close to the supermarket they are almost always occupied by non electric cars. If you were to turn up in an electric vehicle there would be very little chance of you finding a recharging point that you cpild connect to.

Are other supermarkets the same?

I dont' remember seeing any points in any Morrisons.

If I did I'd probably park in them anyway.

Why should drivers of electric cars get preferential treatment, and parking spaces right outside the front door of the shop??

The land belongs to Morrisons, and they site charging points where they see fit. By the door means less cabling and surfacing work, i.e. lower installation costs.

Do you park in a disabled spot without a badge or in a parent-infant spot without an infant?

Will you help push the e-car out of charge because you took up its charging spot?

FFS, why do people seem to have this constant urge to be needlessly petty all the time :huh:

I'm rather puzzled by Morrison's policy on electric cars.

They provide dedicated parking spaces for the disabled and for mother and child. They also provide several recharging points for electric vehicles, but as these places are not designated as electric vehicles only and as they are rather close to the supermarket they are almost always occupied by non electric cars. If you were to turn up in an electric vehicle there would be very little chance of you finding a recharging point that you cpild connect to.

Are other supermarkets the same?

I think this is a cunning means by which Morrison's are hoping to sell the backlog of extension leads from the electrical aisle after buying a container ship too many of them from North Korea.

It's the Morrison's staff themselves who're encouraged to park in the charging point bays by way of handsome gifts such as free Curly-Wurlys, JLS action dolls and Pringles (multi-packs no less!).

The electric cars are false economy anyway ... a 450metre 3-phase extension lead costs around £1500.00, whereas only pence to travel the same distance using the more conventional petrol.

With the 'Alcocopter®' now converted to run on electric as well as petrol and sieved chip-fat, I get around the inconsiderate staff parking ruse by simply parking on top of their vehicles and using a set of jump-leads. :thumbsup:

Its not prefferential treatment, its so they can charge while they shop and get home if they are low on charge.

That's my thought too. I just wonder why Morrisons go to the trouble and expense of installing the things if (as yesterday) they allow P reg Suzuki Swifts to park in the bays thus depriving drivers of electric vehicles the chance?

It occured to me that this might be lip service to some Government scheme that requires these things rather like motorway services are required to provide airlines to blow up tyres. If this is the case then Morrisons is doing no more than provide the facility because they cannot normally be used.

What would happen if the charging points were already in use by other electric cars?

As they have 6 and there wasn't a single connected cable that seems unlikely. Mind you I can't rule out there being electric vehicles parked where they can't be charged. Perhaps they should use them to block off the petrol forecourt.