Workers on the breadline.

Re my bold.

I want you to prove it!

I'm not going to take that journey with you SD, it's too boring and obvious. But, you have chosen your path. A path where you amble forward, lost and confused and it leads nowhere, certainly not to the next life. That's fine, I've no problem with your choice if you've made enough money to live on and are happy. But for young people today or those on the breadline, they've still to do that, so give them a chance please. Your way of thinking isn't going to help them. In fact, it would be quite damaging.

Easy Route?? :loopy:

Accepting a life of poverty is the easy route? Are you kidding?

You cant make such silly generalisations. People come from all different walks of life. What about post 2008? Some bankers were earning a fantastic living, the next day they were effectively homeless!

Many industries have been affected by the current climate.

If those bankers save the money instead of buying flash cars and expensive holidays. they wouldnt have lost their house. it just poor budgeting

It's the easy route if you accept it without planning and taking action on what you're going to do about it. Yes. Poverty in the West shouldn't be a permanent lifestyle choice. Life is a journey, there will always be peaks and troughs. You don't set up camp in the troughs, you get out your batman grappling hook and start climbing out!

You genuinely believe the bankers were out of work for long. People working in finance are some of the most ruthlessly ambitious people on earth. They won't have suffered for long if at all.

Then change industry, adapt. The days of working down the pit for 40 years are over.

You had better hope the poor learn to accept it. Those that don't are the one's who start revolutions. Have you any idea how soul destroying it is to keep trying and trying, but have all the odds set against you? You either get depressed or get very very angry.

The unemployed bankers are a case in point. After helping to cause havoc, of course they are back in work- They would have had the best education, the contacts, the money to get back into the industry, to wait for the right opportunity, retrain, or start up their own business.

Advantages which poor people tend not to have.

Imagine you were stoney broke, with absolutely nothing, no phone, not even the bus fare to get from a to b, and no one to help you, or to borrow from.

What would you do?

What would you do?

A wonderful question, but if you want a true answer, you will first have to tell me where I'm starting from, what is my age, education, previous work?

One has to understand where their journey begins if they are to chart out a realistic end destination.

What you and Typhoon fail to understand is that there are people like me in every industry, and we get all the best jobs, the promotions, the highest salary's. And kids starting out today better get clued up on this very quickly if they want to stand a chance in the real working world in which we live, a real world that is now more competitive and more ruthless than it's ever been in history.

People like you may rise to the top sometimes. It's because you're full of hot air!

However, genuine people also succeed in life. In fact, they can surpass the sycophants and do better. You don't have to be a dick to get to the top.

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 14:10 ----------

A wonderful question, but if you want a true answer, you will first have to tell me where I'm starting from, what is my age, education, previous work?

One has to understand where their journey begins if they are to chart out a realistic end destination.

Seriously.......how many SF accounts have you had now?

OK. You're 56, a self made man, now bankrupt, (many thousands of pounds in debt) and a divorcee, you've just spent 6 months in prison for embezzlement, you were trying to save your company which you built from scratch, (you had a bog standard education and have no meaningful qualifications.) You've made plenty of enemies along the way and have borrowed money from what few friends you have, which you have failed to pay back, now they won't give you the time of day. You've been moved out of London because of the benefits cap and rehoused in Sheffield where you don't know anyone.

You have been placed in council accommodation, but a **** up with benefit payments means you have had to take out an emergency loan which you now have to pay back. That means that you have to live on £42 a week disposable income, which just about covers your electric (meter) and food.

You own only what you stand up in.

Go

Edited by Anna B

OK. You're 56, a self made man, now bankrupt, (many thousands of pounds in debt) and a divorcee, you've just spent 6 months in prison for embezzlement, you were trying to save your company which you built from scratch, (you had a bog standard education and have no meaningful qualifications.) You've made plenty of enemies along the way and have borrowed money from what few friends you have, which you have failed to pay back, now they won't give you the time of day. You've been moved out of London because of the benefits cap and rehoused in Sheffield where you don't know anyone.

You have been placed in council accommodation, but a **** up with benefit payments means you have had to take out an emergency loan which you now have to pay back. That means that you have to live on £42 a week disposable income, which just about covers your electric (meter) and food.

You own only what you stand up in.

Go

They're quite specific parameters there Anna.

If I were in that situation I would use my 'self-made man' skills by volunteering to do VSO or similar, or I would get a job in a hotel where they provided accommodation and food. (Then try to work my way up to manager). But I do appreciate that not everyone who is 'on their uppers' would be able to do that.

If you have a roof over your head, living off £42 pw is possible. Not fun, but possible.

I think I am going to have to publish a cookbook to be given to anyone trying to feed themselves properly on a small budget.

Edited by aliceBB