University Arms, Sat 18th Oct: Thyme Machine / Horowitz/ MJ Hibbett

moopind

7pm. Money in the hat, straight to the bands. No tickets.

MJ HIBBETT

Hibbett's songs will make you laugh and *yet* make you think (though I'm not sure what). Mark John "MJ" Hibbett is an English guitarist singer-songwriter, often compared to Billy Bragg and Richard Digance.

With his band The Validators, MJ came to widespread online notice in 2000 with "Hey Hey 16K", an ode to the ZX Spectrum and other home microcomputers of the 1980s.

MJ (often with his "Validators") has performed live on Radio One, had a Record Of The Year in Rolling Stone, an Album Of The Day on 6Music, released one of the first ever viral videos, toured the UK and Europe, featured in an Edinburgh Fringe Festival show, and recorded a science fiction rock opera. Or two.

MJ's songs have mostly been released on his own record label, Artists Against Success.

http://mjhibbett.bandcamp.com/

HOROWITZ

Horowitz make brilliant songs. Pete and Ian will bring their largely-melodic fuzzy punk-pop noize to proceedings and layer sweet melodies with great trebly guitar things which make your heart skip a beat.

Described as “the sound of the indiepop underground”, Horowitz formed in 2004 as a three-piece bedroom project. Since then they have released a full-length LP, 5 (or is it more now?) singles and numerous compilation tracks, memorably coining the slogan ‘Popkids of the World Unite!’ on the b-side of their first single for Cloudberry Records, 2007’s ‘Tracyanne.’ Practically bleeding DIY ethics, the band have taken their Pavement-meets-Subway Organization brand of noise pop to Germany, Sweden and the U.S, playing some of the finest indiepop clubs and festivals including Cosy Den in Stockholm and the 2010 NYC Popfest. Next stop: University Arms, obviously.

http://horowitz.bandcamp.com/a…/frosty-cat-songs-12-vinyl-lp

THE THYME MACHINE

I love them. My friends love them. My friends' children argue about their lyrics. Frontperson Kriss is more deadpan than an actual deceased pan. They release music on floppy disks (other formats available). They took Indietracks festival veritably "by storm" this summer, but in spite of practically-certain impending superstardom they are going to play, for you, here.

The Thyme Machine are a lo-fi indiepop band from Lancaster fronted by a man in a leopard suit called Kriss Foster. They sing about taxidermy, favourite jumpers, seabirds and going for a day out to the Lake District with a zombie. They’ve performed at least one month-long run at the Edinburgh Fringe, and recently(ish) released a new album ‘Wake Up with The Thyme Machine’.

http://www.thethymemachine.co.uk/

Hi Daniel i got your message and for some reason my thread was deleted by a moderator but unfortunately im working that night already but if anything else comes up let me know and hopefully i can get involved! Thanks, Scott